2021 information for papers will be published in early September.
Individual and group behaviour, communications, and the management of operations and human resources within organisations
|Paper title||Managing for Performance|
|Teaching period||Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$863.25|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,276.80|
- BSNS 105, MANT 111
- Schedule C
- This paper replaces the required paper BSNS 105 for students who commenced BCom programmes before 2017
- More information link
- Teaching staff
Coordinator: Dr Brian Spisak
- Teaching Arrangements
- Lecture and tutorials
- Samson, Danny et al (2016). Management in New Zealand (2nd edition). Cengage.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Critical thinking, Communication, Ethics, Research, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Upon successful completion of this paper, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of key concepts introduced in the paper pertaining to the tasks of managing and organising within a range of contexts
- Characterise a managerial context and offer an evaluation (defending opinions by making judgements about information, validity of ideas or quality of work based on a set of criteria) of what the organisation or management faces and how they might now act or respond
- Synthesise key concepts introduced in the paper regarding organisations, the role of the manager and the act of leading and managing individuals in teams and groups within an organisation
- Demonstrate research skills, including the systematic search for relevant information, selection of pertinent material to build an argument, the vetting of research quality and accepted practices for the use of research (e.g. referencing)
- Demonstrate competency in scholarly verbal communication skills in the form of a formal team presentation
- Demonstrate competency in scholarly written communication practices in the form of a formal business report
- Demonstrate deep understanding of ethical issues that relate to organising and managing