Ethical issues in business including ethical theory and reasoning, nature and evolution of the business system, internal and external constituencies, and an examination of ethical functioning in business.
This paper examines ethical issues in business with the aim of providing students with the tools to evaluate and resolve such issues from day-to-day managerial decisions and actions to the global issues facing business and society.
|Paper title||Business Ethics|
|Teaching period||Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$829.65|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,993.30|
- 36 200-level points from Commerce Schedule C
- Schedule C
- This paper is suitable for undergraduates, graduates and professionals seeking to gain insight into the ethical dilemmas that businesses face in today's society.
- More information link
- View more information on the Department of Management's website
- Teaching staff
- Coordinator: Dr Maja Graso
- Paper Structure
- The paper covers two key areas of contemporary business ethics:
- Organisational ethics - normative ethics, ethical dilemmas and ethical decision-making at the individual and organisational level
- Institutional/structural ethics - examining and evaluating ethical issues raised in the context of social practices, institutions and economic systems that shape the relationship between business, society, the environment and people
- Teaching Arrangements
- Heavy emphasis on individual preparation for seminars, group discussion and feedback.
- Joanne B. Ciulla, Clancy Martin & Robert C. Solomon. Honest Work: A Business Ethics Reader, Oxford University Press.
- Course outline
- View the course outline MANT 331
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Critical thinking, Ethics, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Upon successful completion of this paper, you should be able to:
- Make ethical decisions
- Identify how ethical decisions affect various stakeholders
- Use a variety of philosophical frameworks to explore ethical issues
- Discuss the implications of some of the major ethical issues facing business and society