David Tombs took up the Director role at the Centre and the Howard Paterson Chair of Theology and Public Issues in January 2015. David is an Anglican lay theologian and his work focusses on contextual and liberation theologies, theologies of reconciliation, and the cross. He also writes on how churches can make better responses to spiritual and sexual abuses.
Originally from the United Kingdom, David previously lectured at the University of Roehampton, London, and the Irish School of Ecumenics, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland.
Read more at www.david-tombs.com
- Find out about David's teaching and research on his staff profile
- Latin American Liberation Theologies on the Brill website
- The Crucifixion of Jesus on the Taylor Francis website
- David's inaugural lecture
CTPI Research Affiliates
Dr Mercy Ah Siu-Maliko
Dr Mercy Ah Siu-Maliko is a Lecturer at Piula Theological College and a Research Affiliate at the Centre for Theology and Public Issues.
She is currently lead researcher for the Fola le ta'ui a le Atua: Rolling Out the Mat of Scripture project.
Dr Greg Marcar
Greg Marcar completed his PhD in Theology and Law at the University of Otago. He also holds an MA in Philosophy and Theology (University of St. Andrews) and an LLM degree (University of Law). Previously, Greg has been involved in several non-profit organisations, including the Red Cross, Christian Solidarity Worldwide, International Bridges to Justice, Liberty, and the Innocence Project New Zealand.
Dr Alistair Reese
Dr Alistair Reese is a public theologian as well as a farmer and historian. Alistair's research focusses on Te Tiriti/Treaty of Waitangi as a doorway to reconciliation in Aotearoa New Zealand.
His writing includes a particular emphasis on Pākehā identity and how we can live in a colonised land. He holds postgraduate degrees in History and Tikanga Māori including a PhD in Theology from University of Auckland.
He lives near Te Puke in the district of Tapuika/Waitaha.
Room 4C13, Arts Building
CTPI Advisory Board
- Professor Jonathan Boston (Professor of Public Policy, Victoria University of Wellington)
- Glyn Carpenter (Director, New Zealand Christian Network)
- Dr Greg Coyle (Principal Adviser, National Social Programmes, Salvation Army New Zealand, Fiji & Tonga Territory)
- Professor Elaine Graham (Grosvenor Research Professor, University of Chester, UK)
- Julianne Hickey (Director, Caritas Aotearoa New Zealand)
- Professor Gareth Jones (University of Otago Bioethics Centre)
- Rev Dr Tokerau Joseph (Mairangi and Castor Bays Presbyterian Church, Auckland)
- Rev Dr Peter Matheson (Emeritus Professor, Knox Theological College, Dunedin)
- Rev Professor Murray Rae (Professor of Theology, Department of Theology & Religion, University of Otago)
- Rt Rev Dr Graham Redding (Master, Knox College, University of Otago)
- Rt Rev Dr Eleanor Sanderson (Assistant Bishop of Wellington)
- Rev Professor Will Storrar (Director, Center for Theological Inquiry, Princeton University, USA)
- Rev Professor Paul Trebilco (Department of Theology & Religion, University of Otago)