The Endocrinology Research Group's major focus relates to clinical trials in all areas of endocrinology including diabetes, general endocrinology, and metabolism. A key area of research focus is the link between obesity and insulin resistance.
The group has published widely on the effect of meal composition on postprandial inflammation and is involved in clinical trials in obesity, type 2 diabetes, and osteoporosis.
In addition the group has collaborative projects with other members of the Department of Medicine, as well as other researchers both nationally and internationally.
The Prevention Of WEight Regain in obese individuals (POWER) Study
This is a four-year HRC-funded RCT investigating the effect of the dopamine agonist Cabergoline on prevention of weight regain in obese individuals who have recently lost weight through a very low calorie diet.
This study has recruited 200 obese individuals. Recruitment began in January 2012 and was completed by December 2013.
This is a multicentre international study comparing the effect of Sitagliptin on cardiovascular outcomes in people with type 2 diabetes.
This is a large study which will recruit 14,000 participants worldwide, and will continue for at least four years.
- The effect of GLP-1 on inflammatory markers in adipose tissue
- Investigation of hedonic and non-hedonic neural circuitry in obesity. This study is being undertaken by the Otago Brain Eating and SatiEty (OBESE) Study Group.
If you have research interest in clinical endocrinology including diabetes and/or obesity, and have either a tertiary science degree or a medical degree, then feel free to make contact with Associate Professor Patrick Manning to find out if there are any current research opportunities available within the research group.
- Manning, P. J., Sutherland, W. H. F., Williams, S. M., De Jong, S. A., & Hendry, G. P. (2013). Oral but not intravenous glucose acutely decreases circulating IL-6 concentrations in overweight individuals. PLOS ONE, June 12, 2013.
- Latta, L., Tordoff, D., Manning, P., & Dent, J. (2013). Enhancing clinical skill development through an ambulatory medicine teaching programme: An evaluation study. Med Teach, June 11, 2013.
- Manning, P. J., Sutherland, W. H., Williams, S. M., Walker, R. J., Berry, E. A., De Jong, S. A., & Ryalls, A. R. (2012). The effect of lipoic acid and vitamin E therapies in individuals with the metabolic syndrome. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis, March 6, 2012.
- Manning, P. J., Jong, S. A., Ryalls, A. R., Sutherland, W. H. (2012). Paraoxonase 1 activity in chylomicrons and VLDL: The effect of type 2 diabetes and meals rich in saturated fat and oleic acid. Lipids, 47(3), 259-67.
- Vos, F. E., Schollum, J. B., Coulter, C. V., Manning, P. J., Duffull, S. B., & Walker, R. J. (2012). Assessment of markers of glycaemic control in diabetic patients with chronic kidney disease using continuous glucose monitoring. Nephrology (Carlton), 17(2), 182-8.
- Slade, H., Williams, S. M., Manning, P. J., & Walker, R. J. (2011). High-risk diabetic nephropathy patients: The outcome of evidence-based clinical practice in an outpatient clinic. Diabetes Res Clin Pract, Mar 14, 2011.
- Vos, F. E., Manning, P. J., Sutherland, W. H., Schollum, J. B., & Walker, R. J. (2011). Anti-inflammatory effect of an insulin infusion in patients on maintenance haemodialysis: A randomized controlled pilot study. Nephrology (Carlton), 16(1), 68-75.
- Taylor, R. W., Brooking, L., Williams, S. M., Manning, P. J., Sutherland, W. H., Coppell, K. J., Tipene-Leach, D., Dale, K. S., McAuley, K. A., & Mann, J. I. (2010). Body mass index and waist circumference cutoffs to define obesity in indigenous New Zealanders. Am J Clin Nutr, 92(2), 390-397.
- Manning, P. J., Sutherland, W. H., McGrath, M. M., de Jong, S. A,, Walker, R. J., & Williams, M. J. (2008). Postprandial cytokine concentrations and meal composition in obese and lean women. Obesity (Silver Spring), 16(9), 2046-2052.
- Manning, P. J., Sutherland, W. H., Walker, R. J., de Jong, S. A., & Berry, E. A. (2008). The effect of glucose ingestion on inflammation and oxidative stress in obese individuals. Metabolism, 57(10), 1345-1349.
- Manning, P. J., Sutherland, W. H., McGrath, M. M., de Jong, S. A., Walker, R. J., & Williams, M. J. (2008). Postprandial Cytokine Concentrations and Meal Composition in Obese and Lean Women. Obesity (Silver Spring), Jun 26, 2008.
- Manning, P. J., Sutherland, W. H., Walker, R. J., Williams, S. M., de Jong, S. A., Berry, E. A. (2008). The effect of rosiglitazone on oxidative stress and insulin resistance in overweight individuals. Diabetes Res Clin Pract, 81(2), 209-215.