Our Prayers, thoughts and lots of love are with Jackie Ludgate and her family who are currently recovering in Christchurch Hospital after an horrific car accident last Saturday.
We sincerely wish them well and look forward to seeing her smiley face back in the Department.
Ian has set up a Givealittle page to help the family.
Important staff meetings
- Research Committee Meeting 7 September 9am Bielschowsky
- Teaching Committee Meeting 20 September 1–2pm Bielschowsky
- Department Meeting 25 September 1–2pm G16
- Space Committee Meeting 6 October 10am Bielschowsky
Seminars, symposiums, and special lectures
- This week's Pathology Seminar (1pm 25 August, D'Ath)
Featuring Adam Rance and Luke Henderson Talk title TBC
- This week's Medical Forum (1pm 15 September, Barnett Theatre)
Professor Marshall Chin, William Evans fellow 2017
What Does Equitable Health Care in a Just Society Look Like? Health
Care Reform in the US and New Zealand
- Special Lecture
Dr Joshua Koen University of Texas, Dallas
The effects of age on episodic memory encoding
11amTuesday 12 September Quad 1 All welcome
DSM Research News (PDF 1MB)
Available funding and research grants
- 2017 DSM Research Grant Round—due 6 September
- DSM Dean’s Bequest 2017
- DSM Werner Medical Research Grant 2017
- DSM & BMS Research Grant 2017
- Download the application guidelines
- Healthcare Otago Charitable Trust—closes 5pm Friday 29th September 2017
- 2017 Continuing Education Fund—closes 3 November
- William Evans Fellowship—applications close 15th September
- 2018 University Teaching Development Grants—closing Date 5pm Monday 2 October 2017
Open to any academic staff member (0.2FTE and above), whose duties include significant teaching and who has been actively teaching in a university for at least 1 year, may apply for University Teaching Development Grants. Applicants are strongly advised to contact Associate Professor Clinton Golding (Acting Head, HEDC) or Dr Sarah Stein (Director of distance Learning) by September or sooner.
Staff comings and goings
Heather Brenssell 25 to 28 August
Mandy Fisher 1 Aug to 3 Sept
Euan Rodger 21 to 23 Aug
Gail Williams 28 to 31 Aug
- Otago Medical School Research Society SCIENCE WRITING PRIZE 2017
Open to all University of Otago undergraduates and postgraduate students undertaking health-related research.
Tell us in no more than 800 words why your research matters in a way that would interest a non-scientific audience.
E.g. Why is it important? Why does it interest you? Why should it interest the reader?
The winning article will be published by the ODT and AMWA
Entries close 5pm 15 September 2017
- Regent Theatre Discounts for University Staff
KEVIN BRIDGES Scotland’s biggest comedy export
8pm 25th September
Tickets $82.20 (booking fee applies)
Buy 2 or more tickets using code: SCOTTISH and get $5 off each ticket