The University of Otago College of Education offers a wide range of opportunities and qualifications; if you want to inspire in the classroom or better understand the educational influences in our society, the College of Education will have a programme for you.
Download the College of Education Prospectus for Initial Teacher Education and Education.
We offer Initial Teacher Education (ITE) programmes in:
- Early Childhood Education
- Primary Education
- Te Pōkai Mātauranga o te Ao Rua (Primary Bicultural Education)
- Secondary Education
As places in our ITE programmes are limited, we invite you to apply with applications by the due date each year – check the application dates.
Read more about applying to an ITE programme.
For those who may not want to teach, but are interested in education:
Graduates of our teaching programmes will be well prepared to work with children and young adults, and will gain a broad range of skills in communication, organisation, management, creativity and adaptability. This makes our graduates highly employable - read about the employment statistics of our graduates.
Many of our graduates will pursue life-long careers in teaching but graduates may also move into a variety of exciting careers such as museum or zoo education officers, Ministry of Education policy analysts, journalists, children's television presenters, college/university/polytechnic lecturers, youth support workers, teachers of English overseas, children's advocates and more.
Do you require a copy of your academic transcript, qualification certificate (testamur), statement of completed qualification, enrolment status letter, or detailed information related to your ITE programme?
- If you studied at the University of Otago on or after October 2017, digital copies of these documents can be viewed and shared via My eQuals.
- You can still request official, certified hard copies of your documents if required, from AskOtago, but extra time will need to be allowed for ordering, printing and posting, which may incur an extra cost.
- If you graduated prior to October 2017, a copy of your qualification certificates (testamurs) can be obtained by emailing a request to the Graduation Office. The Graduation Office is able to produce replacement certificates from the former Dunedin College of Education as far back as 1989.
- If you are a University of Otago student who studied prior to 1977 or a former student of the Dunedin College of Education and require a copy of your transcript, qualification certificate (testamur), and/or Kindergarten qualification prior to 1974, please contact AskOtago to request these types of documents, as they are not available via My eQuals.
- For specific information relating to initial teacher education (ITE) programmes, please complete the online application and make payment.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are unable to 'proceed to payment' when using either Chrome or Internet Explorer please use Firefox as your Internet browser.
International travel and study
Student exchange programme at Otago
The University of Otago operates a student exchange programme with other international institutions. Our international ties enable you to gain international learning experience while studying at the College of Education. An overseas exchange looks great on your CV and is an experience of a lifetime.
International study is usually undertaken at undergraduate level within Education Studies. Acceptance into the programme is based on academic merit – so make sure you concentrate on your studies if this is your aim!