All doctoral candidates need to re-enrol for study in each calendar year, (the thesis only calendar year is 1 January to 31 December). Re-enrolment in a calendar year needs to be completed by close of business (usually 22 December) of the previous year in order to avoid incurring a late fee.
If you have any queries regarding the information below, please contact the Doctoral Office:
Re-enrolment for the next calendar year will usually open in August of the current year via eVision. You will need your student username and password.
Log in via the eVision portal
Note: If you hold a scholarship it is particularly important to complete enrolment and declaration before 21 December, otherwise this may disrupt your scholarship payments.
You will soon receive an eVision portal alert advising you that course enrolment is now available, please:
- Log in to eVision
- Complete Information required for your study.
- Select Complete this step on the Paper selection row.
- Select View papers.
- The paper selection page should display with the full year version of the paper you were last enrolled in. The page should also display any approved deferrals you hold.
Note: If your deferral time span means that a staff member will need to make an assessment about which periods to enrol you in, or you were not enrolled in the previous year, no paper will display. In this instance you should contact: email@example.com.
- Select yellow Continue button.
- If you are a Distance learning student a page will display with distance questions. These are not strictly relevant for thesis student as you don't have an examination centre in the same way as undergraduate students. Please only complete the mandatory question indicating if you are willing to share your details with other students.
- Complete the Programme specific questions, indicating if you are a finalist.
- Select Submit at the bottom of the page (note that if you select Save and Exit staff won't be able to course approve you for the year).
- If you have any problems with the re-enrolment process in eVision, please refer to the:
AskOtago Service Portal
After this staff will course approve your Doctoral programme and you will then receive an eVision alert about completing the declaration.Note the declaration must be completed by the due date to complete enrolment and not to incur a late declaration fee.
You need to complete the Insurance and Visa requirements for study to be able to access your declaration and complete the re-enrolment process.
If you are a scholarship recipient it is important that you have re-enrolled and are course approved by our last working day (usually around 22 December) to ensure that your stipend payment for January can be made.
If you have any specific questions about your scholarship please contact the Scholarships Office.
Semester One only re-enrolment
Enrol for the first semester only if you intend to submit your thesis for examination prior to 30 June.
If you choose to enrol in the first semester you will not be able to re-enrol via eVision for study in the second semester.
If you need to enrol for study in the second semester once you are course approved for the year, you need to email the Doctoral Office with this request. This change needs to be completed prior to 15 June.
Deferring doctoral study
If you have a deferral, or are planning to defer for some part of a calendar year, you will still need to start re-enrolment before 1 December. This also applies if you will only need a second semester enrolment. An approved deferral from 1 January to 31 December on your record means you do not need to re-enrol for study in the re-enrolment year.
The last day for submission of your thesis for examination to the Doctoral Office in any year is the last working day, usually 22 or 23 December.
If you feel it is possible that you will not make this date, then please re-enrol for study prior to 1 December.
If you do manage to submit, your next year's re-enrolment will be deleted and no payment of fees would be required.Note that submission on the first working day only in January would be taken as submission on 31 December with no enrolment for the current year needed.
Additional papers during doctoral study
In exceptional circumstances, additional papers may be taken concurrently with doctoral thesis study. These must be approved by the Graduate Research Committee, with the request for the paper(s) normally instigated by the supervising department, either at doctoral admission or during study.
If made during study, permission to take the paper must be requested using:
If an additional paper is approved, the candidate should then contact the Doctoral Office to action enrolment: