HR Professional Development offer a comprehensive range of training and development programmes and learning options. These include scheduled workshops as well the option of group or one-on-one sessions. If a particular workshop would be useful for your whole team, please contact us as most workshops can be delivered as tailored sessions.
Online learning - Lynda.com
Along with our scheduled workshops, you can also access Lynda.com for online training options.
As a staff member, you now have free access to Lynda.com. This is a site dedicated to online learning across many topics including technical skills, interpersonal skills, self-management and leading others. You will be able to access individual videos, complete courses, and curated playlists.
- Unlimited access. Choose from more than 5,000 video tutorials covering business, creative and technology topics.
- Personalised recommendations. Explore the most in-demand skills based on your experience.
- Expert instructors. Learn from industry leaders, all in one place.
- Convenient learning. Access courses on your schedule, from any desktop or mobile device.
- Helpful resources. Reinforce new knowledge with quizzes and exercise files.
If you are not familiar with playlists, they allow us all to group videos from multiple courses into a new unit that we can watch or share. For example, we might assemble six videos taken from four different courses in a playlist titled Time management. When you access the playlist, you can directly watch the six videos we added without watching the full courses.
Watch this video on How to use Lynda.com.
What this video on How to use playlists effectively.
We have created some playlists, and put these under the relevant components of the training programme.
We run a programme of interactive workshops and information sessions. To keep up to date with our courses, you can subscribe to receive an updated calendar of events each month. Subscribe to the calendar
Most of our courses allow online booking. These links can be found within the information for the specific workshop. Some of our programmes require a specific application form to be completed. This will be found on the course detail page.
As some of our courses are extremely popular we recommend that you enrol early.
If a course is full or there is no date, what are my options?
Contact us and have a chat. If a course is full, a link will appear, which allows you to add your name to a waitlist. If enough people are on a waitlist, we will consider running another session. For more information, email email@example.com
Below is a list of our planned workshops and the information for each Dunedin workshop can be found by clicking on the heading.
- Coaching for Managers
- Management Fundamentals: Coaching Skills for Managers
- Management Fundamentals: Delegation
- Management Fundamentals: Having Those Discussions
- Management Fundamentals: Managing Within the University Environment
- Management Fundamentals: Performance Management Frameworks
- Management Fundamentals: Planning Frameworks
- Management Fundamentals: Problem Solving - A3 Technique
- Management Fundamentals: Role and Responsibility
- Prosci® Fundamentals of Change Management
- Sharpening the Saw: Cutting Through the Noise to Focus on Priorities
- Sharpening the Saw: Health & Safety Responsibilities of Managers
- Sharpening the Saw: Leadership Styles
- Sharpening the Saw: Negotiation - a problem solving approach
- Sharpening the Saw: Project Management Frameworks
- Sharpening the Saw: Strategic Planning Tools
- Sharpening the Saw: SWOT, PESTLE and NOISE
- Supervisory Skills: The Role of a Team Leader
- Supervisory Skills: Coaching
- Supervisory Skills: Communication
- Supervisory Skills: Delegation
- Supervisory Skills: Health and Safety Responsibilities
- Supervisory Skills: Looking Forward
- Supervisory Skills: Managing and Enhancing Performance
- Supervisory Skills: Strategic Planning
- Supervisory Skills: Team Diversity/Belbin Team Roles
- Supervisory Skills: Time Management/Decision Making
Additional online resources
This suite of workshops is designed to build technical skills and knowledge that can be applied within the workplace.
- Connecting with Our Community: Campus Watch
- Connecting with Our Community: Career Development Centre
- Connecting with Our Community: Māori Centre
- Connecting with Our Community: Pacific Islands Centre
- Connecting with Our Community: Student Development
- Dealing with Complex Customer Situations
- Influence and Persuasion
- Information and Records Management at Otago for Operations Group Staff
- Just a Minute: a guide for minutes and meetings
- Managing Information Essentials
- Meetings: organising them well
- Perfect Presentations
- Presentation Refresher
- Recruitment System Training
- Servicing Formal Committees
- Time Management: finding the time to plan and organise
- Train the Trainer: working with adult learners
- Working with Integrity
- Workplace Fundamentals: Communication
- Workplace Fundamentals: Customer Diversity
- Workplace Fundamentals: Customer Service
- Workplace Fundamentals: Giving and Receiving Feedback
- Workplace Fundamentals: Health and Wellness
- Workplace Fundamentals: Making the Most of My Learning
- Workplace Fundamentals: Personal Skills
- Workplace Fundamentals: Team Work
- Workplace Fundamentals: Workplace Professionalism
- Writing Professional Documents
- Continuous Learning and my Career
- Customer Service
- Listening to Customers
- Writing Effective Emails
- Communicating Assertively
- Communicating Non-Defensively
- Communicating: navigating roadblocks
- Conflict: managing it better
- Listen More, Talk Less
- Maintenance for the Mind: balancing your positivity ratio
- Maintenance for the Mind: getting your daily dose in winter
- Maintenance for the Mind: let's get physical
- Resilience: building emotional competence
- Communication Basics
- Developing Your Emotional Intelligence
- Listening Skills
- Working Effectively in a Team
Additional online resources
These workshops concentrate on areas of diversity and are designed to enhance understanding.
- Creating an Inclusive Environment: disability awareness
- International Students: cultural differences and their impact
- Mental Health: face to face with student issues
- Rainbow Tick Diversity & Inclusivity Training
Treaty of Waitangi and Māori culture workshops are held every year. For more information and to book, see the HEDC website.
Additional online resources
Information sessions and training courses about policy and processes.
- Academic Promotion – Thinking of Applying?
- Job Evaluation Upgrade
- Parental Leave Information Seminar for Prospective and Intending Parents
- Planning for Retirement
The Professional Development team can deliver our programmed sessions for your workplace. These can be taken from our list of programmed courses or we can, in consultation with you, design for specific needs.
We have assisted with Strategy or Team Building Days, problem solving workshops or one on one coaching for specific individual needs.
Please contact the Professional Development team at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to talk to a member of the team about your needs.
Human Resources also run the following courses for teams:
- Belbin Team Roles
- Presentation Skills Coaching
- Safety, Respect and Dignity at Work: dealing with bullying and personal harassment
At Otago there is a range of activities that cater for the needs of women (both academic and professional). The programme is run jointly between Human Resources (main contact is email@example.com) and HEDC.
- Mentoring Programme for Academic Women
- Mentoring Programme for Professional Staff
- Women in Leadership at Otago (WiLO) Programme
- New Zealand Women in Leadership (NZUWiL) Programmes for Academic and Professional Staff
- New Zealand Women in Leadership (NZUWiL) Discipline Pod Programme for Academic Staff
If you haven’t found what you’re looking for, or have any other professional development ideas, we would be happy to hear your suggestions.