The Otago Global Student Exchange Programme
The Otago Global Student Exchange Programme allows students to spend one or two semesters at one of the 100+ exchange partners worldwide as part of their Otago degree.
Students pay standard tuition fees to Otago and receive credits towards their Otago qualification.
Scholarships are available and students continue to receive StudyLink loans and allowances.
- Watch the Otago Global video
- Otago exchange partners
- Otago Global information session
- Plan to go on exchange
- Eligibility criteria
- When and how to apply
- Exchange Grants / Awards
- Contact an Exchange Adviser
Students with disabilities going on exchange
We have exchange agreements with many institutions around the world that offer an equivalent level of support that is available to you as a student here at the University of Otago.
COVID-19 Notice to Otago students
We have been closely monitoring the COVID-19 pandemic and the impact it is having on international education.
Reluctantly, and based on the best advice and information we have available, the decision has been made to cancel in-person outbound exchanges in Otago's in S2, 2021 (*) This decision has not been made lightly, and has been taken with the following factors in mind:
- Our students' safety is our priority. While New Zealand is currently managing the pandemic well within our borders, the situation overseas continues to evolve and there is no indication at this time that the situation will improve to allow for travel during S2, 2021.
- The Government-issued “Do Not Travel overseas at this time” notice remains in place for all New Zealanders. We encourage students and their families to refer to the Safe Travel Advisory website for the most current updates.
- Managed isolation and quarantine (MIQ) – there has been a high demand for services, and New Zealanders are experiencing difficulty returning home.
- Insurance – there is a general exclusion in insurance policies for pandemics and epidemics. We are not confident that you would have the appropriate level of cover while on exchange next semester.
(*) Trans-Tasman COVID-safe Travel Zone
With the trans-Tasman bubble in place, the University of Otago will allow students to go on exchange to Australia in S2 2021, provided the student understand that:
- The exchange will only progress if the trans-Tasman bubble is in place when the exchange starts.
- Should the trans-Tasman bubble close at the end of your exchange, students must ensure that they have additional funds available to stay in Australia should their departure be delayed.
- Should there be a change in border requirements they will be responsible for any and all MIQ costs to return to NZ.
- Students must purchase a suitable insurance policy to cover health and travel while on exchange in Australia (Otago may recommend/choose the policy).
Virtual exchange: Some of our exchange partners are offering virtual exchange in S2 2021. You may be able to study a full course load online while remaining in NZ.
2022 Exchange: Check the key application dates on the Exchange Application Process page. We'll continue to monitor the COVID-19 pandemic situation and we'll keep applicants closely informed of developments.
The Otago Exchange Advisers are available and very happy to discuss options available to you, so please get in touch if you have any questions.