Information correct as at January 2019
All international students must have a valid student visa to study at the University of Otago.
Important information for new students applying for visas offshore (as of January 2019)
INZ are experiencing longer than usual visa processing timeframes.
Currently 90% of applications are being processed within 49 days. If you are intending to start studying in our semester one (February 2019) intake, you are in another country and have not yet applied for your student visa, as of mid-January 2019, you may need to consider postponing your start date until semester two (July 2019).
When renewing your student visa you can either apply on campus, or send your application to Immigration New Zealand (INZ).
Provider Direct (Visa-on-Campus)
International students currently studying full time at the University of Otago may be eligible to apply for their visa through Student Visa Services on campus. There are a limited number of exceptions where applications need to be directed to Immigration New Zealand (INZ).
Note: If you hold a visitor or work visa you will have to apply directly to INZ for your student visa.
Who can apply for a Provider Direct (Visa-on-Campus)
At Otago we are able to process most applications for student visas on campus. There are only a limited number of exceptions, when applications need to be directed to Immigration New Zealand.
We are not able to accept your application for a student visa-on-campus if:
- You do not currently hold a valid student visa.
- You are not currently or were not during the last enrolment period, a full-time student, unless you are an undergraduate finalist.
- You are here as a New Zealand Scholarship Student (NZAID)
- You are here on the Student Exchange Programme
- You are a returning student and on Conditional Enrolment for a second or subsequent time.
If you fall into any of the above categories, you need to apply through Immigration New Zealand (INZ).
Please Note: Immigration New Zealand reserves the right to refuse applications submitted on campus and may request that you resubmit your application to them directly.
How to apply for a Provider Direct (Visa-on-Campus)
- Download and complete the Student Visa Application (INZ1012) (PDF, 745KB) form.
A hard copy of this form is also available for collection from the International Office.
- Read the Visa-on-Campus Application Information carefully.
- Applications may usually be submitted directly to Student Visa Services from Monday to Friday between 10am and 4pm.
- Make sure you include all required documents.
Only complete applications will be accepted.
- You will receive an email from INZ when a decision has been made on your student visa application.
If approved, your eVisa will be attached to the email. You should print a copy of the eVisa and keep it with your passport.
Processing time for Provider Direct (Visa-on-Campus)
Most applications will take between five to thirty days to process.
Some of the factors to affect processing time include:
- Your application is submitted in a busy period (February, March or July).
- Findings on Medical or Police Certificates that need further assessment.
You might be emailed an interim visa from INZ the day after your current visa expires if your passport hasn’t been returned to you by then.
This email must be forwarded to email@example.com immediately to avoid losing access to resources.
- Immigration New Zealand (INZ) holds a record of all previous information and documents supplied by you.
- It is an offence to provide false or misleading information on your application form.
- We advise you not to book any overseas travel before your student visa has been issued.
International students may be able to work while studying. Please check:
Student Visa Services
Monday to Friday 10.00am - 4.00pm
University of Otago
Archway West building
University of Otago
PO Box 56
Apply through Immigration New Zealand (INZ)
Visa applications can be made online or by using the paper form. To make sure your application is accepted you will need to provide all the information required at the time you submit your application.
NOTE – Returning students will need to email firstname.lastname@example.org and request a Confirmation of Enrolment letter.
The letter you can download yourself in eVision is not accepted by INZ.
If applying in New Zealand using a paper form, please courier your application to:
Immigration New Zealand
Student Processing Unit
PO Box 1049
Palmerston North 4440
Tel 0508 558 855 (a free number from a landline telephone only)
or 09 914 4100 (a toll number from a mobile telephone)
Fax 06 952 7758
Once you have been issued a new visa please take a copy to the International Office so that we can update our records. If you have a new passport you will also need to bring this into the International Office.