Information correct as at June 2019
All international students must have a valid student visa to study at the University of Otago.
When renewing your student visa you can either apply on campus, or send your application to Immigration New Zealand (INZ).
Provider Direct (Visa-on-Campus)
International students currently studying full time at the University of Otago may be eligible to apply for their visa through Student Visa Services on campus. There are a limited number of exceptions where applications need to be directed to Immigration New Zealand (INZ).
Note: If you hold a visitor or work visa you will have to apply directly to INZ for your student visa.
Who can apply for a Provider Direct (Visa-on-Campus)
At Otago we are able to process most applications for student visas on campus. There are only a limited number of exceptions, when applications need to be directed to Immigration New Zealand.
We are not able to accept your application for a student visa-on-campus if:
- You do not currently hold a valid student visa.
- You are not currently or were not during the last enrolment period, a full-time student, unless you are an undergraduate finalist.
- You are here as a New Zealand Scholarship Student (NZAID)
- You are here on the Student Exchange Programme
- You are a returning student and on Conditional Enrolment for a second or subsequent time.
If you fall into any of the above categories, you need to apply through Immigration New Zealand (INZ).
Please Note: Immigration New Zealand reserves the right to refuse applications submitted on campus and may request that you resubmit your application to them directly.
How to apply for a Provider Direct (Visa-on-Campus)
- Download and complete the Student Visa Application (PDF, 623KB) form.
A hard copy of this form is also available for collection from the International Office.
- Read the Visa-on-Campus Application Information carefully.
- Applications may usually be submitted directly to Student Visa Services from Monday to Friday between 10am and 4pm.
- Make sure you include all required documents.
Only complete applications will be accepted.
- The fee for a Visa-on-Campus Application will increase from NZ$240 to NZ$275 on 01 July 2019 .
The NZ$275 fee for applications made on campus is comprised of a NZ$110 application fee, NZ$25 Immigration Levy, a NZ$105 service charge and a NZ$35 International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (if applicable).
This payment can be made at the International Office by EFTPOS only.
- You will receive an email from INZ when a decision has been made on your student visa application.
If approved, your eVisa will be attached to the email. You should print a copy of the eVisa and keep it with your passport.
Processing time for Provider Direct (Visa-on-Campus)
Most applications will take between five to thirty days to process.
Some of the factors to affect processing time include:
- Your application is submitted in a busy period (February, March or July).
- Findings on Medical or Police Certificates that need further assessment.
INZ will issue you with an interim visa when the current visa expires if you submitted a complete, compliant student visa application before the current visa expiry date.
- On campus applications: staff will receive notification and upload the interim visa to your eVision portal.
- Applications sent directly to Immigration New Zealand: you will receive confirmation of the interim visa by email. Forward the email to email@example.com to avoid losing access to University resources.
- Immigration New Zealand (INZ) holds a record of all previous information and documents supplied by you.
- It is an offence to provide false or misleading information on your application form.
- We advise you not to book any overseas travel before your student visa has been issued.
International students may be able to work while studying. Please check:
Student Visa Services
Monday to Friday 10.00am - 4.00pm
University of Otago
University of Otago
PO Box 56
Apply through Immigration New Zealand (INZ)
Visa applications can be made online or by using the paper form. To make sure your application is accepted you will need to provide all the information required at the time you submit your application.
NOTE – Returning students will need to email firstname.lastname@example.org and request a Confirmation of Enrolment letter.
The letter you can download yourself in eVision is not accepted by INZ.
If applying in New Zealand using a paper form, please courier your application to:
Immigration New Zealand
Student Processing Unit
PO Box 1049
Palmerston North 4440
The processing fee for students applying directly to Immigration New Zealand is NZ$310 for an online or paper-based application.
Once you have been issued a new visa please take a copy to the International Office so that we can update our records. If you have a new passport you will also need to bring this into the International Office.