Research Clusters and Networks
- Postcolonial Studies Research Network
- Cultures, Histories and Identities in Visual Studies
- Film and History Association of Australia and New Zealand (FHAANZ)
- Cultural Studies Association of Australasia
- Popular Culture Association of Australia and New Zealand
- Australian and New Zealand Communication Association Inc
- Space Race Bodies Research Collective
- Performance of the Real Research Theme
- Society for Cinema and Media Studies
British Association of Film, Television and Screen Studies
- Screen Studies Association of Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand
- European Network for Cinema and Media Studies
News and Events
Media, Film and Communication Studies is proud to present a full research seminar series over the course of the year, organise conferences, regularly host visiting scholars, hold master classes and organise public lectures.
News and Events contains information on upcoming events, and an archive of past activites.
Visitors to the Department
Current Visitors have their own profile page, to keep you informed of what's happening at Media, Film and Communication Studies.
Past visitors to the Department include:
- Prof. Brendan Hokuwhitu, Dean Amokapua / Maori and Indigenous Studies, The University of Waikato
- Assoc. Prof. Susan Stryker, Gender and Women's Studies, The University of Arizona
- Prof. Constance Penley, Film and Media Studies, University of California, Santa Barbara
- Assoc. Prof. Tracey McIntosh, Director Nga Pae / Sociology, The University of Auckland
- Prof. Audrey Yue, School od Culture and Communication, The University of Melbourne
- Prof. Angela Ndalianis, School od Culture and Communication, The University of Melbourne
- Assoc. Prof. Bree Hadley, Creative Industries Faculty, Queensland University of Technology
- Dr Olga Solovieva, the Department of Comparative Literature, The University of Chicago
- Dr Allen Meek, School of English and Media Studies, Massey University
- Dr Misha Kavka, Associate Dean (Academic) / Media and Communications, Faculty of the Arts, The University of Auckland
- Dr Allan Cameron, Media and Communications, The University of Auckland
- Dr Miriam Ross School of English, Film, Theatre and Media Studies, Victoria University.
- Dr Jenny Rock Director of Popularizing Science, Centre for Science Communication, University of Otago.
- Prof. Laurence Simmons HOD Department of Film, Television and Media Studies.
- Prof. David Marshall Chair in New Media, Communication and Cultural Studies, Deakin University.
- Dr Grant Bollmer School of English and Media Studies, Massey University.
- Paora Te Oti Takarangi Joseph; Director / producer 'Tātarakihi- The Children of Parihaka'.
- Assoc. Prof. Scott McQuire School of Culture and Communication.
- Prof. Anne Gregory Director for Public Relations Studies at Leeds Business School.
- Paul Willis Director for Public Relations Studies at Leeds Business School.
- Lee Schweninger. University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, U.S.A. Visiting Exchange Professor, Semester 2, 2011.
- Ross Gibson, cinema scholar and documentary film maker.
- Ron Burnett, digital media scholar.
- William Crawley, political economist.
- David Thorburn, cultural studies scholar.
- Vijay Mishra, literary and cultural studies scholar.
- Franceso Casetti, cinema scholar.
Fellowships, chairs and memberships
Dr. Hugh Slotten: Charles A. Lindbergh Chair in Aerospace History,
Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, July 2010-June 2011.
The department regularly hosts exchange students for a semester or two of study. Likewise, students from the University of Otago may apply to attend an overseas institution while earning their qualification.
Otago Global Student Exchange is a website specifically for exchange students, and lists over ninety instituions that are current exchange partners