My research focuses on investigating the mechanisms that underlie heart failure and vascular disease particularly in the context of hypertension and diabetes. To this end, we have developed a number of novel tools to assess cardiovascular signaling pathways.
- FRET-based biosensors to measure kinase activity and localization in living cells
- Custom antibodies to measure biochemical modifications of proteins
- A variety of animal models with enhanced or reduced susceptibility to cardiovascular pathology.
With this research, we hope to contribute new understanding to the molecular basis of cardiovascular signaling that will culminate in potential clinical therapies for heart disease and atherosclerosis.
- Identifying the mechanism by which CaMKII regulates cellular signaling in the diabetic heart
- The role of CaMKII in vascular physiology and pathology
- Nitric oxide as a mediator of cardiac signaling
- Health Research Council Project Grant
- Royal Society of New Zealand Marsden Fast Start Research Grant
- University of Otago Research Grant
- American Heart Association Scientist Development Grant
- National Institute of Health T32 Fellowship
Power, A. S., Asamudo, E. U., Worthington, L. P. I., Alim, C. C., Parackal, R. E., Wallace, R. S., Ebenebe, O. V., … Erickson, J. R. (2023). Nitric oxide modulates Ca2+ leak and arrhythmias via s-nitrosylation of CaMKII. Circulation Research. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1161/circresaha.123.323571
Okolo, C. A., Khaing, E.-P., Mereacre, V., Wallace, R. S., Munro, M. L., Erickson, J. R., & Jones, P. P. (2023). Direct regulation of the cardiac ryanodine receptor (RyR2) by O-GlcNAcylation. Cardiovascular Diabetology, 22, 276. doi: 10.1186/s12933-023-02010-3
Giles, G. I., Erickson, J. R., & Bussey, C. T. (2022). Photoactivation of tDodSNO induces localized vasodilation in rats: Metabolically stable S-nitrosothiols can act as targeted nitric oxide donors in vivo. Nitric Oxide, 129, 53-62. doi: 10.1016/j.niox.2022.10.001
Khaing, E. P., Okolo, C. A., Erickson, J. R., & Jones, P. P. (2022, August-September). Regulation of RyR2 by O-GlcNAcylation. Poster session presented at the 16th New Zealand Medical Sciences Congress (MedSci), Queenstown, New Zealand.
Ashley, Z., Ebenebe, O. V., Erickson, J. R., & Heather, A. K. (2022, August-September). A new scoring system to evaluate atherosclerotic lesions in female ApoE-/- mice. Poster session presented at the 16th New Zealand Medical Sciences Congress (MedSci), Queenstown, New Zealand.