Last updated December, 2023
Exchange to UBC in Semester One 2025 - Apply from 1 October 2023 to 1 February 2024. Places will be allocated on a first in first served basis.
The University of British Columbia (UBC) is a global centre for teaching, learning and research, consistently ranked among the top 20 public universities in the world and recently recognized as North America's most international university.
UBC's Vancouver campus is located at the western tip of the Point Grey Peninsula in the city of Vancouver in British Columbia, Canada. With more than 400 hectares in size, the stunning campus is surrounded by forest on three sides and ocean on the fourth, and is just a 30 minute bus ride to Vancouver's downtown core.
The Okanagan campus is an intimate learning community embracing bold new ways of thinking that attract exceptional students and faculty. More than 9,120 students from throughout the Okanagan region, across Canada and 99 other countries are enrolled in undergraduate and graduate programs in eight faculties and schools.
Vancouver is the largest city in the province of British Columbia and one of the mildest climates in Canada. Home to spectacular natural scenery and a bustling metropolitan core, whether just relaxing in a park or bike riding around the seawall, there is always something to do in Vancouver.
- Undergraduate and graduate exchange available.
- Academic Year: September to April (Fall Term: September - December; Winter Term: January - April).
- Minimum course load: 9 credits per semester; maximum course load: 15 credits per semester.
- UBC courses: 100: first-year; 200: second-year; 300: third-year; 400: fourth-year (final year of undergraduate degree); 500+: graduate-level courses.
- Commerce students nominated to the Sauder School of Business will be allowed to take a full course load in commerce at UBC and will be given preference when applying to commerce courses on exchange. Places in the Sauder School of Business are limited. Please check with the Exchange Adviser whether you can be nominated to UBC's School of Business.
- Law students nominated to the Faculty of Law will be allowed to take a full course load in Law at UBC and will be given preference when applying to Law courses on exchange. Places in the Faculty of Law are limited. Please check with the Otago Exchange Adviser whether you can be nominated to UBC's Faculty of Law.
- Students nominated to the other faculties may be able to take up to two courses at either the Sauder School of Business or at the Faculty of Law, but this is not guaranteed. Applications will be assessed by UBC on a case by case basis.
- Upper-level Politics courses are restricted to students who major in Politics or International Relations.
- Accommodation on campus is not guaranteed, especially for single-semester students in Term 1 (September to December). Spaces in on-campus housing will be allocated using a lottery system. Support will be given to those students who are not offered spaces in on-campus housing as they search for accommodations off-campus.
- UBC virtual tours
- Vancouver Campus courses
- Okanagan Campus courses
- Sauder School of Business courses
- Courses not available to exchange students
- UBC Academic Calendar
- Workload at UBC
- International student guide
- Cost of living
- Campus life
- New to UBC - Guide
- Disability Services
- Information on student visas and insurance for students going on exchange
- UBC 2023 S2 BCom ECON SB (PDF)
- UBC 2022 S2 BCom FINC TD
- UBC 2022 S2 LLB BCom ECON BM
- UBC 2019 S2 BCom ACCT MART EF
- UBC 2019 S1 BA LING PSYC SB
- UBC 2019 S1 LLB & BCom FINC HM
- UBC 2018 S2 BSc INFO SL
- UBC 2018 S2 BSc INFO ZF
- 2017 S2 BCom FINC LLB LR
- UBC 2017 S2 BPhEd PHSE PSYC JM
- UBC 2017 S2 BSc GEOG ZI
For further information about Otago Global Student Exchange, please contact an Exchange Adviser.