|Value||Standard value of NZ$6,000 for one year. Usually paid as an accommodation fee waiver directly to your Residential College|
|Number offered||Usually 2 scholarships|
|Opening date||15 November (Applicants will apply for the University of Otago 150th/Alumni Appeal Entrance Scholarship in order to be considered for this scholarship)|
|Closing date||5 December|
Alumni and friends of the University of Otago have gifted funds to provide scholarships for Law students who have demonstrated academic ability and who can show significant financial need.
Application for all Entrance Scholarships are normally open to students who meet the requirements of 1.1 OR 1.2, AND 2. Those who fit within 3 are ineligible.
1.1 Are New Zealand citizens, New Zealand permanent residents, Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents with domestic fee status;
1.2 International students who have completed Year 12 and have completed or are in the process of completing Year 13 at a New Zealand school (or an equivalent foundation level course at a New Zealand tertiary institution).
2 Are intending to enrol or have enrolled for the first time for first-year (100-level papers) full-time degree-level, undergraduate study in Law at the University of Otago.
3 Applications are not normally open to those who have studied more than 0.4 EFTs at any University or tertiary institution at degree-level or higher.
Specific eligibility criteria for this Scholarship
In addition to the above eligibility criteria, applicants must have:
- Significant financial need or life circumstances which present barriers to studying at university.
- Achieved NCEA Level 2 endorsed with merit, or equivalent.
All applications for Entrance Scholarships are done through eVision, the University's student management system. In order to apply for a scholarship, you will be required to go through the first stages of enrolment at the University of Otago to access the Entrance Scholarship online application.
For more information on the application process, as well as step-by-step instructions, please visit the apply for an entrance scholarship webpage.
Before going through the application process, it is important to ensure that you are adequately prepared to begin the application. What you will need to prepare for your application is listed on the scholarship application preparation webpage.
Selection of recipients
The Selection Panel consisting of the Director of Development and Alumni Relations, in the chair, the Dean of the Law Faculty, the Alumni Relations Campaign Officer, and the Manager, Undergraduate Entrance Scholarships, or their nominees, shall consider the following factors in awarding the scholarships:
- Academic ability; disciplines or subjects relevant to their proposed programme of study at University may be assessed (a minimum of NCEA Level 2 awarded with merit, or equivalent, is normally required for consideration).
- Financial need.
- The life circumstances which present significant barriers to studying at university.
- Potential and motivation to succeed at University
The Scholarship Terms and Conditions can be found here. In addition, the following information applies to this Scholarship, subject to the specific provisions of the offer letter for the recipient:
- Standard value of $6,000.
- Standard tenure is one year for those in a University of Otago or University-affiliated residential college.
- Please note that, unless an exception is specified, other University of Otago Entrance Scholarships cannot normally be held concurrently with other Entrance Scholarships. The exception to this is the Dux Entrance Scholarship, which may be held concurrently at the value specified in its regulations.
You are likely to find the Frequently Asked Questions helpful and we recommend that you read them.
To find out more about Entrance Scholarships, please contact us:
If you have a University of Otago student identification number, please include this in your email.