|Value||Standard value of NZ$6,000 for one year. Usually paid as an accommodation fee waiver directly to your Residential College|
|Number offered||Usually 2 scholarships|
|Opening date||To be advised|
|Closing date||To be advised|
Established by the University Council in 2017 with support from Frank Leong. The scholarship rewards students who have shown tenacity in their learning.
General eligibility criteria
Application for all Entrance Scholarships are normally open to students who meet the requirements of 1.1 OR 1.2, AND 2. Those who fit within 3 are ineligible.
1.1 Are New Zealand citizens, New Zealand permanent residents, Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents with domestic fee status;
1.2 International students who have completed Year 12 and have completed or are in the process of completing Year 13 at a New Zealand school (or an equivalent foundation level course at a New Zealand tertiary institution).
2 Are intending to enrol or have enrolled for the first time for first-year (100-level papers) full-time degree-level, undergraduate study at the University of Otago.
3 Applications are not normally open to those who have studied more than 0.4 EFTs at any University or tertiary institution at degree-level or higher.
Exceptions to 0.4 EFTS or less are considered when all previous University or tertiary level study has been undertaken whilst concurrently enrolled at secondary school.
Specific eligibility criteria for this Scholarship
In addition to the above eligibility criteria, applicants must have:
- Significant financial need or life circumstances which present barriers to studying at university.
- Achieved NCEA Level 2 endorsed with merit, or equivalent.
Note: You will not be eligible to apply for this scholarship if you have already been offered and accepted an Entrance Scholarship for 2020.
All applications for Entrance Scholarships are done through eVision, the University's student management system. In order to apply for a scholarship, you will be required to go through the first stages of enrolment at the University of Otago to access the Entrance Scholarship online application.
For more information on the application process, as well as step-by-step instructions, please visit the apply for an entrance scholarship webpage.
Before going through the application process, it is important to ensure that you are adequately prepared to begin the application. What you will need to prepare for your application is listed on the scholarship application preparation webpage.
Selection of recipients
The University and the Donor shall consider the following factors in awarding the scholarships:
- Academic ability; disciplines or subjects relevant to their proposed programme of study at University may be assessed (a minimum of NCEA Level 2 awarded with merit, or equivalent, is normally required for consideration).
- Financial need.
- The life circumstances which present significant barriers to studying at university.
- Potential and motivation to succeed at University.
- The Committee will give consideration to those who have shown tenacity in their learning.
The Scholarship Terms and Conditions can be found here. In addition, the following information applies to this Scholarship, subject to the specific provisions of the offer letter for the recipient:
- Standard value of NZ$6,000.
- Standard tenure is one year for those in a University of Otago or University-affiliated residential college.
- Please note that, unless an exception is specified, other University of Otago Entrance Scholarships cannot normally be held concurrently with other Entrance Scholarships. The exception to this is the Dux Entrance Scholarship, which may be held concurrently at the value specified in its regulations.
You are likely to find the Frequently Asked Questions helpful and we recommend that you read them.
To find out more about Entrance Scholarships, please contact us:
If you have a University of Otago student identification number, please include this in your email.