An introduction to the theory and practice of sports marketing, with particular emphasis on the New Zealand situation.
Sports, recreation and leisure play a large part in people's lives, and as a consequence, it is a huge global industry that employs a large number of people and has a significant economic impact. The marketing of such activity has increasingly become a specialised field in its own right. The industry is growing rapidly following the global changes in lifestyle trends, and therefore, there are growing job opportunities for marketers in this field.
|Paper title||Sports Marketing|
|Teaching period||Semester 1 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$872.70|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,405.05|
- 108 points
- Schedule C
- More information link
- View more information on the Department of Marketing's website
- Teaching staff
- Teaching Arrangements
- Every week students must attend one 110-minute lecture and participate in one tutorial (50 minutes) when scheduled.
Foundation Text: Shank, Matthew D. "Sports Marketing- A strategic perspective." Prentice Hall, Edition 4 (3rd Edition is OK)
- Course outline
- View the course outline for MART 207
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication, Critical thinking, Information
literacy, Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this paper will
- Be provided with an introduction to the theory and practice of sports marketing, with particular emphasis on the New Zealand situation
- Look in detail at the unique features of sport and its marketing that require it to be considered as a separate field of study
- Gain an understanding of the skills necessary to operate in the sports marketing industry
- Have opportunities to develop written and oral communication skills
- Have opportunities to research sources of information and to develop critical analysis skills
- Build skills, experience and attitudes necessary for life beyond the university