Encouraging, facilitating and recognising academic excellence is a key thrust. Statistical studies show that first year students living in residential halls and colleges have significantly better exam pass rates than students who do not live in a hall or college.
University College encourages academic excellence and success by:
- Having one of the senior management team as a key contact person for help, advice and support on all academic matters
- Providing a comprehensive, free, in-house tutorial programme to add value to courses being studied.
- Providing scholarships to recognise academic achievement.
- Offering well-equipped tutorial/study areas within the College. Highlighting valuable resources and courses available on campus which can assist in a competitive University environment.
- Setting up information forums in key areas such as First Year Health Science, stress management, ESOL, study techniques, etc.
- Sourcing one-on-one tutoring, if needed.
- Providing a pool of on-site Sub-Wardens who are senior University students with subject expertise.
- Supporting sick students with regard to work management, impaired performance, missed assessments and missed exams.
- Encouraging informal mentoring between residents.
"I love living in UniCol. It is such a positive place. The residents and staff are all extremely friendly and supportive. As a resident I love that we can balance hard work with sports and socialising. UniCol is a home away from home!"