Cardiovascular physiology and pathophysiology, respiratory physiology and pathophysiology, the physiology of sleep, and respiratory and cardiovascular pharmacology.
Biomedical Science for Medical Technicians is the first paper in this qualification and aims to give students a broad understanding of the basic physiology and pathophysiology that underlies the practice of cardiac and sleep technology.
|Paper title||Biomedical Science for Medical Technicians|
|Teaching period||Full Year (Distance learning)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$2,889.00|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$10,674.00|
- MTEX 701
- Limited to
- PGCertMedTech, PGDipMedTech
- Suitable for graduates with a science degree - in particular those who are interested in physiology/anatomy and want to work as a sleep or cardiac physiologist.
- Teaching staff
- Paper Structure
- The paper consists of assignments, discussion forums and a contact course, all of which are designed to give you a foundational understanding of physiology and pathophysiology as it relates to the practice of medical technology.
- Teaching Arrangements
- This paper has a three-day compulsory residential course held at the Wellington campus.
- There are no required textbooks for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication,
Critical thinking, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- This paper involves learning and understanding the biomedical sciences, including:
- Cardiovascular physiology and pathophysiology
- Respiratory physiology and pathophysiology
- The physiology of sleep
- Respiratory and cardiovascular pharmacology