The Otago Business School gives students the opportunity to gain valuable paid work experience through the Otago Internship Programme, while at the same time earning credit towards their degree.
Put into practise the knowledge and skills you’ve learnt at University in the real business world, get paid for it. Stand out from other New Zealand commerce graduates when entering the employment market?
See what students are saying about the Otago Business School’s unique and exclusive Internship Programme.
"I spent the year out of University, working with a Marketing firm full-time for the whole year. I learnt a lot about myself, how a business runs and also about what you get up to when you work in Marketing … take the opportunity, I really recommend it.”
What's involved with the Internship Programme?
Our programme is unique in New Zealand. It is designed to give Otago students who’ve completed their second year of study towards their BCom and are averaging a ‘B’ or better academic grade, valuable and meaningful first hand workplace experience.
As an intern you will be involved in real business activities - you are not a "broom boy" or "tea lady", and you won't be running mindless errands. Our interns genuinely add value to businesses they work for.
How do you benefit?
- enhance your CV, interview and networking skills, and meet businesses through our “Employability Programme” before starting your internship
- opportunities to apply for positions advertised through the Otago Business School Internship Office
- full-time paid employment for six months to one year
- complete 1 x 18-point academic distance learning paper (BSNS 301) that counts towards your degree
- valuable experience to add to your CV and business mentors to provide advice and support
- real-world experience and examples to bring to potential job interviews - making you stand out above other applicants
- many interns are offered full-time employment once they complete their degree
- at the end of your internship you return to the University of Otago to complete the final year of your BCom degree.
Other Important Information
- Am I eligible?
- Why do an internship?
- Preparing and applying
- Requirements and support
- Employability Programme
- Information for Employers
- FAQs for students
Contact the Internship Manager
If you’d like to find out more about the Otago Internship Programme please contact the Internship Office:
Dean's Office, Otago Business School
Tel: +64 3 479 4280