2021 information for papers will be published in early September.
An understanding of normal sleep and factors that alter sleep and wakefulness, and pathophysiological sleep disorders.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Medical Technology (PGDipMedTech) endorsed in Sleep Medicine is an extension of the Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Technology (PGCertMedTech) for those working as technologists in sleep medicine.
|Paper title||Sleep Medicine|
|Teaching period||Full Year|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$2,857.50|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$10,363.00|
- MTEX 705
- Limited to
- For those currently working as a sleep physiologist.
- Teaching staff
- Convenor: Dr Angela Campbell
- Teaching Arrangements
- This paper has a compulsory 3-day residential course held at the Wellington campus.
- There are no required textbooks for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication,
Critical thinking, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students who successfully complete the paper should be able to
- Discuss the basic neurology of sleep
- Discuss the physiology and pathophysiology of the respiratory system, cardiovascular system and neurological system as they relate to sleep
- Discuss the pathophysiology of specific sleep disorders, including sleep apnoea, narcolepsy and sleep phase delay
- Have an understanding of human circadian rhythms
- Understand and discuss the principles of positive airway pressure treatment devices