An understanding of principles underlying the measurement of sleep and sleep-related disorders, and appropriate therapeutic interventions.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Medical Technology (PGDipMedTech) endorsed in Sleep Medicine is an extension of the Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Technology (PGCertMedTech) for those working as physiologists in sleep medicine.
|Paper title||Sleep Technology|
|Teaching period||Full Year (Distance learning)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,018.75|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- MTEC 702 or MTEX 702
- MTEX 706
- Limited to
- For those currently working as a sleep physiologist
- More information link
- Teaching staff
Convenor: Associate Professor Peter Larsen
Lecturer: Associate Professor Angela Campbell
- Paper Structure
Sleep technology is the second paper in this course. It will provide an understanding of normal sleep and factors that alter sleep and wakefulness. It will also cover the pathophysiology of sleep disorders.
- Teaching Arrangements
This Distance Taught Learning paper is a combination of remote and in-person teaching.
This paper has a compulsory 2-day residential course held at the Wellington campus.
- There are no required textbooks for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication,
Critical thinking, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete the paper should be able to:
- Discuss a range of medical disorders and how their physiology impacts on sleep
- Understand and explain physiological recordings used in polysomnography in terms of underlying physiology and artefact
- Understand the need for quality control and how it is applied in a sleep service
- Set up and appraise quality assurance projects
- Be competent in the performance of and comprehension of sleep-related tests, including the Multiple Sleep Latency Test (MSLT) and Maintenance of Wakefulness Test (MWT)
- Be competent in the performing of and comprehension of positive pressure ventilation