HR Professional Development offer a comprehensive range of training and development programmes. These include scheduled workshops as well the option of group or one-on-one sessions. If a particular workshop would be useful for your whole team, please contact us as most workshops can be delivered as tailored sessions.
To keep up-to-date with our courses, you can subscribe to receive an updated calendar of events each month. Subscribe to the calendar
Most of our courses allow online booking. These links can be found within the information for the specific workshop. Some of our programmes require a specific application form to be completed. This will be found on the course detail page.
As some of our courses are extremely popular we recommend that you enrol early.
If a course is full or there is no date, what are my options?
Contact us and have a chat. If a course is over-subscribed and enough people are on a waitlist, we will consider running another session. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Below is a list of our planned workshops and the information for each Dunedin workshop can be found by clicking on the heading.
- Prosci® Fundamentals of Change Management
- Recruitment System Training
- Sharpening the Saw - Facilitating a Workshop Around Open-Plan Office Etiquette
- Sharpening the Saw - Health & Safety Responsibilities of Managers
- SWOT, PESTLE and Porter's Five Factor Analysis Tools
Additional Online Resources
This suite of workshops is designed to build technical skills and knowledge that can be applied within the workplace.
- Connecting with Our Community
- Copyright 101: knowing what to do in the digital world
- Finding Stuff Online That You Can Reuse – Legally!
- Giving and Receiving Feedback
- Information and Records Management at Otago
- Just a minute: a guide for minutes and meetings
- Meetings: organising them well
- Perfect Presentations
- Servicing Formal Committees
- Time Management: finding the time to plan and organise
- Train the Trainer: working with adult learners
- What is Creative Commons?
- Writing Professional Documents
This group of workshops concentrates on building individual skills to enhance your knowledge and capability.
- Are You a Multiplier or a Diminisher?
- Communicating Assertively
- Communicating: navigating roadblocks
- Communicating Non-Defensively
- Conflict: managing it better
- Listen More, Talk Less
- Maintenance for the Mind: balancing your positivity ratio
- Maintenance for the Mind: getting your daily dose in winter
- Maintenance for the Mind: let's get physical
- Working with Emotional Intelligence
Additional Online Resources
These workshops concentrate on areas of diversity and are designed to enhance understanding.
Treaty of Waitangi and Māori culture workshops are held every year. For more information and to book, see the HEDC website.
The career development programme consists of a range of options that support your reflection. The options provided at the University of Otago include:
More information and extra resources including a career planning workbook can be found at Career development & mentoring.
Other options include workshops that will cover topics related to:
- Applying for a New Role
- Understanding the Career Thread in Your Work History
- Updating Your CV to Make the Most of Your Experience
Information sessions and training courses about policy and processes.
- Academic Promotion – Thinking of Applying?
- Parental Leave Information Seminar for Prospective and Intending Parents
- Planning for Retirement
The Professional Development team will design and deliver customised sessions for your workplace. These can be taken from our list of programmed courses or we can, in consultation with you, design for specific needs.
We have assisted with Strategy or Team Building Days, problem solving workshops or one on one coaching for specific individual needs.
Please contact the Professional Development team at email@example.com if you would like to talk to a member of the team about your needs.
Human Resources also run the following courses for teams:
- Belbin Team Roles
- Presentation Skills Coaching
- Safety, Respect and Dignity at Work: dealing with bullying and personal harassment
At Otago there is a range of activities that cater for the needs of women (both academic and professional). The programme is run jointly between Human Resources (main contact is firstname.lastname@example.org) and HEDC.
- Career Development for Professional Staff
- Mentoring Programme for Academic Women
- Mentoring Programme for Professional Staff
- Women in Leadership at Otago (WiLO) Programme
- New Zealand Women in Leadership (NZWiL) Programmes for Academic and Professional Staff
If you haven’t found what you’re looking for, or have any other professional development ideas, we would be happy to hear your suggestions. Let us know by emailing email@example.com