Qualtrics is an easy to use online data collection and analysis survey application that can be accessed using any web browser or operating system. You can use Qualtrics for anything related to teaching and learning, research or administration at the University of Otago.
Please note that:
- if your survey will include personal information which is either covered by Health Information Privacy Principles (HIPP), The Privacy Act or Ethics Committee specifications that require a secure survey tool, you should use the REDCap survey software
- Qualtrics survey data is stored within the Qualtrics system which is outside of the University of Otago
On this page you will find information about getting access to Qualtrics through Information Technology Services (ITS) including:
System requirements for Qualtrics
Qualtrics is a web-based application that can be accessed using any web browser or operating system. Please note that all survey data is stored within the Qualtrics system – outside of the University of Otago.
Qualtrics usage and licence terms
If you are a University of Otago staff member or student and have an @otago.ac.nz or @student.otago.ac.nz email address, you can apply for a Qualtrics account for your own use.
If you want to use Qualtrics in your class for running surveys, ITS can set up a Division group, with an overall Administrator appointed. The Administrator will be able to create new users, as well as search for, view and edit individual user accounts within your Division. The Administrator is also able to create sets of access permissions for Qualtrics users and groups of users.
Prices for using Qualtrics
There is no charge for using Qualtrics.
Requesting Qualtrics access
Please contact AskOtago to request that a Qualtrics account be set up.
If you are a teaching or academic staff member and require your students to run a survey, you will need to designate a staff member to act as Division Administrator for your department (or Qualtrics "Division"). Please email ITS Software Procurement at firstname.lastname@example.org to request that the staff member be set up as Administrator for your Division. The designated staff member will receive an email which contains all the information required with a link to online tutorials to help with the administration of your department's Qualtrics account.
More information about Qualtrics
- Please see the Qualtrics website for comprehensive training and support information.
- IT Training offer introductory Qualtrics sessions
- Contact AskOtago with any questions about the University of Otago survey "skins"
- Survey design enquiries should be directed to your appropriate divisional resource