Take your career to the next level with a PhD in Marketing
The highest qualification available from Otago, a PhD is often essential if you are considering an academic career in Marketing. Increasingly, senior business people also have PhDs. The skills you will acquire as you undertake advanced research will stand you in good stead, whichever direction your career might take.
The PhD is a specialised thesis-only degree and differs from a master’s degree thesis in scope, depth and originality. It’s more rigorous and demanding, and represents significant independent research. A PhD involves three years of full-time study and students should aim to submit their thesis within this period; part-time study is also available and a PhD may be taken over six years part time.
Information for new PhD in Marketing students
To apply for a PhD position in the Department of Marketing at the University of Otago, please consult the departmental application information included below.
The Department of Marketing recognises the importance of providing appropriate resources for graduate research candidates to enhance the quality of their training, and offers the following resources and support:
- Office space and a personal computer for all PhD students
- Financial assistance, to enable PhD students to attend an international conference.
- Tutorial and teaching opportunities (for which PhD students are paid) where appropriate
- Domestic fees: all PhD students based in New Zealand during their candidature, irrespective of their nationality, are eligible to pay domestic level tuition fees of approximately NZ$6226.00 per year (2017 fees)
International PhD students:
- Are eligible to work in paid employment for up to 20 hours per week during term time and full-time during summer vacation. Partners of all international postgraduate students are able to apply for an open work permit valid for the duration of the student's course of study
- With children should note that their children may attend school in New Zealand without paying international student fees
Entrance requirements for a PhD in Marketing
Entry to our PhD programme involves a rigorous assessment of your performance in preliminary postgraduate degrees. An MBA or applied Masterate is not a normal entry point for a PhD. If you have not undertaken advanced study in marketing theory or research methods, we will require you to enrol in papers and meet a high standard in these so you have the knowledge and skills to undertake PhD research. In some cases, we may require you to enrol in a PGDip, MCom or MMart before we can assess your suitability as a PhD candidate.
If you are an international student, please note that you must have achieved an overall IELTS score of 6.5 and no band less than 6.0 to gain entry to our programme; students not meeting this criterion will only be considered in exceptional circumstances.
In exceptional cases (where the scope and quality of their research justifies it), MCom students may apply to upgrade to a PhD. Details of upgrading from a MCom to a PhD are available from the PhD Director, Dr Alexandra Ganglmair-Wooliscroft (email@example.com) .
Application for supervision – PhD in Marketing
Initial enquiries should be directed to AskOtago.
Applications to the PhD programme in Marketing are to be submitted online through our Student Management System, eVision.
As part of the application process you will be required to provide:
- A short research proposal of 1,000 words following the Department of Marketing format. The proposal should indicate your initial ideas for PhD study, explaining the topic of the PhD in the context of relevant literature, outlining possible research questions and clearly demonstrating the aims of the PhD and how these will add to academic knowledge
- View the Department of Marketing format for research proposals (PDF)
- A current curriculum vitae
- An electronic copy of your Master's thesis and any other research projects (i.e. published papers)
- Official copies of your full academic transcripts for previous studies including the grading scale. If the original is not in English you will need to provide certified/notarised translations
- Your Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) report, if one is required with your application (international students only);
- Evidence you meet the English language requirement
- An indication of whether you intend to apply for a scholarship to help fund your PhD
- A Department of Marketing Application for Supervision form (PDF)
Students applying to the PhD programme are normally requested to make contact with the teaching department to find a potential supervisor before submitting an application. Students applying for a PhD in Marketing are not required to make contact with the Department of Marketing prior to applying, as the assessment for supervision is included in the application process.
For enquiries regarding the application process, please contact AskOtago.
If you are ready to submit your application:
More information on the PhD in Marketing at Otago
For further information on studying for a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) with the Department of Marketing please read:
- Information on the University of Otago Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Details on the Department of Marketing staff research and supervision areas
- The Department of Marketing student and supervisor expectations (PDF)
- The University of Otago PhD progress requirements (PDF)
- The profiles of current PhD candidates in the Marketing Department
Please contact the PhD Director, for more information.