The Media, Film and Communication Programme warmly welcomes graduate students to apply for postgraduate research.
Have a look at our academic staff profiles and explore the supervisory expertise and wide range of topics in which our staff engage:
Our current postgraduate students are from a variety of backgrounds and tackle a host of ideas related to media, film and communication. Have a look at their profiles:
A Doctorate in Media, Film and Communication lets you take the ultimate step in university education in a vibrant department.
Master's study in Media, Film and Communication offers a comprehensive initiation to the world of independent research.
Master of Arts (Coursework) programme for Humanities students
The Master of Arts (Coursework) (MA (Coursework)) programme is designed to give students the balance of specific subject knowledge plus broad-based skills employers are looking for.
The programme will take either 12 months or three semesters of full-time study to complete. The programme can also be studied part-time.
Bachelor of Arts with Honours (BA(Hons))
The honours degree is a full year, 400-level postgraduate programme with independent research requirements.
Postgraduate Diploma (PGDipArts)
The Postgraduate Diploma has the same content as the fourth year Honours programme, but offers the flexibility of part-time study.
Full selection of 400-level papers offered by the Department.
Postgraduate Culture in Media, Film and Communication
We have a lively research culture in our programme. Postgraduate students are encouraged to present at our annual 'Postgraduate Research Day' and participate in reading groups with their peers and academics. Recent reading groups have included:
- Foucault's Discipline and Punish
- Marx's Capital I
- Deleuze & Guattari's A Thousand Plateaus
- Lacan's Four Fundamentals of Psychoanalysis
- A selection of work from Baudrillard
Further Information About Postgraduate Study at the University of Otago
- Doctoral and Scholarships Office maintains information about scholarships for study at Otago, and around the world.
- Visit the postgraduate section on the main Otago website for more information about postgraduate study.
- Also see the Humanities postgraduate pages for more useful information.
- Otago Universtiy Postgraduate Society promotes social events all for postgraduates across the University.Supervisors