The effects of manual therapy on biomechanical, neurophysiological and functional outcomes in people with knee osteoarthritis
Area of study
- Manual therapy
- Biomechanical, neurophysiological effects
- Dr. Cathy Chapple (Primary Supervisor) Centre for Health, Activity and Rehabilitation Research, School of Physiotherapy, University of Otago
- Dr. Daniel Ribeiro, Centre for Health, Activity and Rehabilitation Research, School of Physiotherapy, University of Otago
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy (2010), National Institute for the Orthopaedically Handicapped, Govt. of India, Kolkata, India
- Master of Physiotherapy (2013), Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi, India
- Alam S, Khatoon F, Khan N. Joubert Syndrome: A Case Report. Bulletin of Faculty of Physical Therapy. 2021;7:1-3.
- Bala N, Negi A, Saxena Y, Alam S. Autonomic Response of Gradient Exercise Testing Protocol in Normotensive, Overweight and Prehypertensive Individuals: A Prospective, Observational and Analytical study. Bulletin of Faculty of Physical Therapy. 2021;2(9):1-10.
- Mondal M, Sarkar B, Alam S, Das S, Malik K, Kumar P, Sahay P. Prevalence of Piriformis Tightness in Healthy Sedentary Individuals: A Cross-Sectional Study. International Journal of Health Sciences & Research. 2017;7(7):134-142.
- Bhushan V, Sahay P, Alam S, Ranjana. Efficacy of Maitland mobilization and Lumbar Segmental Stabilization Exercises as compared to Lumbar Segmental Stabilization Exercises in subjects with mechanical low back pain: Randomized Controlled Trial. Indian Journal of Physiotherapy and Occupational therapy. 2016;10(4):113-118
- Lalnunpuii A, Sarkar B, Alam S, Equebal A, Biswas A. Efficacy of Mulligan mobilisation as compared to Maitland mobilisation in females with knee osteoarthritis: A Randomised Controlled Trial. Indian Journal of therapies & Rehabilitation Research. 2016;6(2):37-45.
- Kumari C, Sarkar B, Banerjee D, Alam S, Sharma R, Biswas A. Efficacy of Muscle Energy Technique as compared to Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation Technique in chronic mechanical neck pain: A Randomised Controlled Trial. International Journal of Health Sciences & Research. 2016;6(11):152-161.
- Alam S, Malhotra D, Munjal J, Chachra A. Immediate Effect of Kinesio Taping on Shoulder Muscle Strength and Range of Motion in Healthy Individuals: A Randomized Trial. Hong Kong Journal of Physiotherapy. 2015;33(2), 80-88
University of Otago Doctoral Scholarship, 2022
Why did you choose Otago?
The University of Otago does not need an introduction to the world especially when we talk about research quality. Besides, School of Physiotherapy, University of Otago has renowned for world-class education and research in Physiotherapy. So, I tried to approach University of Otago to learn from the best and give my best to the profession.
Best things about study?
One of the best moment of my life was when I received an email from University of Otago to appear for an interview with my supervisors. I got excellent support from my supervisors, staff and other team members throughout my application. I am grateful to all of them.