Our campus legends
- Sustainability Neighbourhood – students flatting experience acting as a living lab
- Sustainability Week – providing sustainable solutions and awareness
- Student Lead recruitment – meet the six student leads employed with the office
- Disposable Cup Free – our campus is 100% disposable cup free
- Sustainability Sussed podcast – check out our student run podcast
- Net Carbon Zero 2030
Acting globally and locally
Our sustainability work at Otago is officially contributing to targeted global efforts and is underpinned by a strategic framework that shows how our commitment will be brought to life.
In 2015, world leaders set the world on a path to a sustainable future, adopting the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. This included setting the 17 Sustainable development goals.
The 17 Sustainable Development Goals and 169 targets, sets out the quantitative objectives across the social, economic and environmental dimensions of sustainable development – all to be achieved by 2030.
If achieved, these will mean the end to poverty, climate change and inequality in the world and ensure we are on the path to a sustainable future.
Meeting such an epic challenge needs our collective effort – and the University of Otago was the first New Zealand University to formally commit to pursuing this collective effort.