The aim of this course is to help students become confident in using the conventions of academic English as required for tertiary study and to develop the skills needed for independent learning.
Each week you will have 15 hours of English for Academic Purposes classes, combined for full-time students with 8 hours of IELTS preparation classes. Classes are on campus only.
The course content includes
- listening to lectures and taking notes
- review of grammar and sentence structure
- development of academic vocabulary
- extensive critical reading
- research and referencing skills
- paraphrasing, summarising and quoting
- seminar presentations
- group discussions
- IELTS preparation classes
Placement test, levels, study load and assessment
Minimum entry levels apply. Placement will depend on level assessment.
Upper-intermediate to advanced
Full-time – 23 hours per week
Minimum study period
Assessment is continous throughout the course
- Test skills – elementary and pre-intermediate levels
- IELTS preparation – intermediate to advanced levels