- We undertake a wide range of research activities relevant to Primary Health Care and General Practice.
- We are committed to research that makes a real difference to people’s health and their wellbeing, assists health professionals in practice and builds research capacity in our sector.
- We have expertise in undertaking research within a kura kaupapa framework, particularly in women’s health. We have particular strengths in using a wide range of qualitative methodologies, and also undertake large quantitative studies.
- Expertise in the analysis of health care consultations is a particular strength; we are actively building a sustainable database to support this work.
- We like collaborating with other researchers, and provide support and supervision for Masters and PhD students; fostering emergent researchers is an important part of our work.
Our Current Key Research Themes:
- Addictive and Lifestyle Behaviours
Alcohol, recreational drugs, smoking, obesity, nutrition
- Communication in Health Care
Conversations in health care consultations, skills in talking about challenging topics
- Educational Research
Interprofessional education, learning about empathy
- Health Services
Health care delivery, models of care, health professionals working together
- Mental Health
Mild to moderate mental illness; social constructs, definitions, prevalence, interventions and outcomes
Research Groups Within the Primary Health Care and General Practice Department
Masters & PhDs
If you are interested in collaborating with us we would love to hear from you. If you are interested in studying with us and learning to be a researcher see:
Summer Student Research Projects
The department supervises a number of student research projects each summer.
- 2019 Academic General Practice and Primary Health Care Research Symposium - Booklet
- 2017 GP Research Weekend - Book of Abstracts
Publications and Other Research Activity
- 2016 Research Report
- 2015 Research Report
- 2014 Research Report
- 2013 Research Report
- 2012 Research Report
- 2011 Research Report
The University's Research Publications Database (staff access only) allows you to search for projects completed by members of our department by name, title or year.
Dr. Maria Stubbe: Research Director: firstname.lastname@example.org