Student activities and opportunities
As a student at Otago there are many amazing activities available to you. These range from internship and mentoring programmes through to student exhange programmes.
Accounting Mentoring Programme
This programme is available to all students majoring in Accounting. Students have the opportunity to learn from the experts. This is their chance to work alongside mentors who span a wide range of industries and include CEOs, CFOs, company directors and accounting and consultancy firm partners.
BNZ Bloomberg Market Lab
The Otago Business School BNZ Bloomberg Markets Lab provides students and faculty access to real-time and historical financial market data, news, and analysis.
Students have access to the same Bloomberg trading platform used by the world's leading investment companies, banks, corporations and government agencies.
It is one of the largest academic trading labs in New Zealand with 12 Bloomberg Professional terminals.
Business Employability Programme
This is a practical work-related training programme that will help you become work ready.
Business Internship Programme
Our programme is unique in New Zealand. It is designed to give Otago students who have completed their second year of study towards their BCom and are averaging a 'B' or better academic grade, valuable and meaningful first hand workplace experience.
Business Case Competition
An opportunity to test your business skills, and solve real business problems, with the possibility of national and international travel.
Dunedin Community Accounting
Dunedin Community Accounting is a voluntary service organisation in which Otago accounting students provide accounting advice to not-for-profit organisations. This programme is a great way to meet members of the local community and to put your accounting skills to good use. Volunteering looks great on your CV and gives you something extra to talk about during job interviews.
Global Student Exchange at Otago
Are you keen to 'see the world', but don't want to take a break from your studies? Combine your desires to travel and study with the Otago Student Exchange programme. The University has over 100 agreements with institutions in 26 countries. Study overseas for a semester, or a full academic year, while paying University of Otago tuition fees.
The Student Exchange Advisers are available Monday to Friday from 11am–4pm.
Room B01, Archway West building
School of Business Exchange Opportunities
Let living and studying overseas be part of your Otago degree. The University of Otago's Student Exchange Programme provides the opportunity to study for one semester, or two, at an internationally recognised partner university.
Student prizes and scholarships
Scholarships and prizes in Accounting and Finance
The Department awards a number of scholarships and prizes to high-achieving Accounting and Finance students every year.
University of Otago scholarships
The University of Otago offers a number of scholarships and prizes. These are available both to students studying at the University of Otago and Otago students studying at other institutions around the world.
Student support on campus
Do you need on-going support, or just a little advice to help in your study or personal life? The University of Otago offers resources and services in a variety of areas to all students and staff.
- The Māori Centre provides assistance to Māori students in all facets of University life. The Department's Kaiāwhina Māori is Mariela Carvajal and you can email her email@example.com.
- The Pacific Islands Centre is a welcoming environment designed to help all students of Pacific descent to make the most of their time at University. The Department's Pacific Islands Liaison is Sriyalatha Kumarasinghe and you can email her firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The International Office offers a full range of services from recruitment and admission, to the pastoral care of international students. The Department of Management welcomes candidates from overseas on all programmes. Special conditions apply, so all applications should initially be made through the International Office.
- The Disability Information and Support Office provides learning support, advice, advocacy and information to students with permanent, recurring or temporary impairments. In addition, if you have a disability or condition that may adversely affect your Management studies please let your lecturers/supervisors know. They are reliant on you to make your needs known and will try to meet those needs where they can. The Department's disabilities representative is Dyna Seng and you can email him email@example.com.
- The Student Learning Centre provides academic support, free of charge, to all students studying at Otago.
- The Career Development Centre is a one-stop career resource for students and employers
- Student Health is a team of qualified professionals providing high quality health care to students of the University of Otago
Student support in the Department of Accountancy and Finance
Need some help with your studies, scholarships or grants? What about extra tutorials and study skills? Or perhaps you would like to talk to someone within the Accountancy and Finance Department? Please contact one of our course advisers.
Here at Otago we have a range of resources available to you that will assist you with your studies.
UNIO 101 Getting started at Otago
UNIO 101 is a paper offered in Blackboard and is available to all new undergraduate students enroled at Otago. You will find really useful information and tips for your academic journey here at Otago.
Contacts for course advice
If you are unsure about any aspect of your study we have dedicated course advisers in the Department of Accountancy and Finance who are here to help you.
Our course advisers can help you:
- Plan your study
- Choose the degree and papers that are right for you
- Look at your career aspirations and how your study fits in with that
- Make sure that you've got the right combination of papers to meet regulations
- Guide and provide solutions if there have been difficulties with the progression of your course