He kōrero mō mātou
Otago Micro and Nanoscale Imaging (OMNI) is a collaboration of four specialised units based within the University of Otago Dunedin campus.
We bring together a depth of expertise in a range of techniques and disciplines at the forefront of imaging capability. Specialist expertise and instrumentation is available in:
- Confocal and light microscopy, and µCT scanning
- Electron microscopy
- Flow cytometry
Our staff can provide consultation and advice about appropriate research design, preparation, and implementation. We cater for training and support of independent equipment users, and have expert staff to provide contracted preparation and imaging services.
The OMNI Academic Advisory Group’s role is to:
- Provide advice on research infrastructure relevant to OMNI
- Assess and report to the overall Divisional Research Infrastructure Governance Group (Division of Health Sciences), on significant emergent developments in academic research fields relevant to OMNI
- Provide advice and make recommendations on the operation of OMNI
Academic Advisory Group members
Dr Adele Woolley
Academic Advisory Group Chair
Dr Mihnea Bostina
Director, Electron Microscopy
Dr Laura Gumy
Academic Leader, Confocal Microscopy
Dr Jo Kirman
Academic Leader, Flow Cytometry
Dr Tania Slatter
Academic Leader, Histology
Each OMNI unit has a user group which consists of:
- Staff from University of Otago departments who have a high usage of the unit’s equipment and services
- Staff from the respective OMNI unit
The user groups:
- Provide feedback to ensure that OMNI policies are appropriate and enhance affordable access to shared equipment and expertise for existing and potential future users
- Suggest improvements that enhance the value OMNI provides to the research community
- Highlight issues that hinder affordable access to and affect the practicality of conducting research at OMNI, and escalating these issues to the Divisional Research Infrastructure Governance Group if they cannot easily be resolved by the user community
- Ensure that common areas and shared equipment (and equipment settings) meet the needs of OMNI users
- Act as a hub and a conduit for the reciprocal flow of information from users to OMNI management and the Divisional Research Infrastructure Governance Group
- Provide a forum for technical staff to interact with and update multiple users at once
- Promote OMNI to researchers on and off campus
- Appraise and update others on research conducted in the facility
User groups report to the OMNI Academic Advisory Group.
User group contacts
Need advice within a particular discipline?
Staff welcome enquiries and encourage you to contact them early in the design phase of your project. This enables them to provide the best advice to achieve high-quality research design and data.