The School of Surveying maintains a variety of computer resources (services and facilities) for students in surveying and spatial sciences.
The School of Surveying has two computer suites for undergraduate and postgraduate student use, a dedicated research lab, plus a number of additional computers for use by postgraduate and honours students.
- Survey software laboratory
- Spatial software laboratory
- Spatial Computation and Analysis Research Facility (SCARF)
Access and rules
Students enrolled in 200 level and above Surveying papers have 24 hour seven day access to the relevant lab(s). After-hours access to the computer labs is by swipe card (student ID cards).
The School of Surveying has licenses for many leading software packages, including, but not limited to -
- ESRI ArcGIS Desktop / Pro
- ERDAS Imagine / Stereo Analyst
- Caris – HIPS & SIPS
- QPS Hydrographic Surveying
- PCI Geomatica
- 12D Model
- MATLAB (See the AskOtago article for more details).
- Open-source GIS and programming (e.g. QGIS, GDAL)
- Standard Desktop Productivity Tools
- Microsoft Office
Software support/help in the School of Surveying is available from the following sources