The School of Surveying maintains a variety of computer resources (services and facilities) for students in surveying and spatial sciences.
The School of Surveying has two computer suites for undergraduate and postgraduate student use, a dedicated research lab, plus a number of additional computers for use by postgraduate and honours students.
- Survey software laboratory
- Spatial software laboratory
- Spatial Computation and Analysis Research Facility (SCARF)
Access and rules
Students enrolled in 200 level and above Surveying papers have 24 hour seven day access to the relevant lab(s). After-hours access to the computer labs is by swipe card (student ID cards).
The use of this facility is subject to rules. Please check out the School of Surveying Lab Rules.
The School of Surveying has licenses for many leading software packages, including, but not limited to -
- ESRI ArcGIS Desktop / Pro
- ERDAS Imagine / Stereo Analyst
- Caris – HIPS & SIPS
- QPS Hydrographic Surveying
- PCI Geomatica
- 12D Model
- Open-source GIS and programming (e.g. QGIS, GDAL)
- Standard Desktop Productivity Tools
- Matlab (latest release via the University of Otago site license, see the Matlab page of ITS for more details, useful resources about Matlab@Otago including tutorials can also be found at www.otago.ac.nz/matlab)
- Microsoft Office
Software support/help in the School of Surveying is available from the following sources
- Help functions within the software.
- Assistance from staff. For surveying software see Kelly Gragg. For GIS software see Aubrey Miller.