General Surgery provides acute and elective surgical services, including tertiary specialist care, for the Southern District. This includes colorectal surgery, upper gastrointestinal and hepatobiliary surgery, breast and endocrine surgery, and trauma.
Teaching is a major focus with involvement in undergraduate medical education at all levels, and major involvement with fourth-year and sixth-years (Trainee Intern) students.
The Department also offers accredited postgraduate training positions in General Surgery and has a number of medical and non-medical postgraduate students. There are clinical and laboratory research opportunities and strong links with other laboratory science researchers in Otago Medical School and the University of Otago.
General surgeons at Dunedin Hospital
- Mr Andrew AudeauProfessional Practice Fellow
- Mr Thomas ElliottClinical Senior Lecturer
- Mr James Haddow Senior Lecturer
- Dr Michael HunterProfessional Practice Fellow
- Mr Michael LandmannClinical Senior Lecturer
- Professor John McCallMcKenzie Chair in Clinical Science
- Mr Graeme MillarClinical Senior Lecturer
- Dr Simone PetrichClinical Senior Lecturer
- Mr Jon PotterHonorary Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Associate Professor Mark Thompson-FawcettAssociate Professor
- Mr John WoodfieldSenior Lecturer
- Dr Deborah Wright Senior Lecturer