General Surgery provides acute and elective surgical services, including tertiary specialist care, for the Southern District. This includes colorectal surgery, upper gastrointestinal and hepatobiliary surgery, breast and endocrine surgery, and trauma.
Teaching is a major focus with involvement in undergraduate medical education at all levels, and major involvement with fourth-year and sixth-years (Trainee Intern) students.
The Department also offers accredited postgraduate training positions in General Surgery and has a number of medical and non-medical postgraduate students. There are clinical and laboratory research opportunities and strong links with other laboratory science researchers in Otago Medical School and the University of Otago.
General surgeons at Dunedin Hospital
- Professor John McCall McKenzie Chair in Clinical Science
- Associate Professor Mark Thompson-Fawcett Associate Professor
- Mr Andrew Audeau Professional Practice Fellow
- Dr Michael Hunter Professional Practice Fellow
- Mr Michael Landmann Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Mr Graeme Millar Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Mr Stephen Packer Clinical Reader
- Dr Simone Petrich Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Mr Thomas Elliott Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Mr John Woodfield Senior Lecturer
- Mr Matthew Leeman Professional Practice Fellow
- Mr Jon Potter Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer