Major in Economics – the flexible degree
You can complete your Economics degree either as a Commerce, Arts or Science graduate. This greatly increases the flexibility of your course choices.
Economics is about choice
Studying Economics at Otago provides you with great flexibility in your course options:
- Read about why studying Economics at Otago is an excellent choice
- Find out about graduate life: where can Economics can take you?
- Read the Economics: A Framework for thinking Infosheet (PDF 1.1 MB) for more details about studying with us
- Economics resources for students: are you a current student looking for resources for an essay or project?
Take a look at some of the ways you can incorporate Economics into your degree. To find out more about our programmes, or any aspect of the Department's activities, please come and see us.
Economics complements other disciplines
Economics combines well with many other subjects. Increasing numbers of our students complete double majors, or double degrees. Popular combinations are:
- Other Business subjects
- Mathematics and Statistics
Philosophy, Politics and Economics
A multidisciplinary major and Honours programme in Philosophy, Politics and Economics is also available in the BA. There are natural affinities and common roots among several strands of Philosophy, Political Studies and Economics.
Minor in Economics – the perfect extra
Don't have room for a full major in Economics? A few papers, or even a minor in Economics, can be an excellent complement to any degree. It is possible to complete a minor in Economics in the BCom, BA, BSc, BAppSc or BTheol for those choosing to major in another subject.
Find out more about studying for a minor in Economics. We provide examples of Economics minors that are tailored to suit particular interests.
Postgraduate study in Economics
The Department of Economics at Otago also offers postgraduate qualifications at the levels of:
- Diploma: (PGDipCom, PGDipArts, PGDipSci)
- Honours: (BA(Hons), BCom(Hons), BSc(Hons)
- Master's: (MCom, MA, MBus, MSc, MEcon)