Aesthetic education / Arts / Dance / Drama / Music / Visual arts
- Assoc Prof David Bell - Aesthetic education; Japanese arts in New Zealand contexts; Museum education programmes; Substantive aesthetics in the Japanese visual field; ukiyo-e; Visual arts education.
- Dr Alex Gunn - Aesthetic education (in early years settings), especially music and visual arts.
- Suzanne Renner - Teaching and learning in, through, and about dance education.
- Prof Jeff Smith – Psychology of aesthetics.
- Prof Lisa Smith - Psychology of aesthetics.
- Trish Wells – Learning in and through drama education.
- Assoc Prof David Bell – Assessment.
- Assoc Prof Alison Gilmore - Building assessment capability; Educational assessment and measurement; Large scale assessment/national monitoring of student achievement.
- Dr Alex Gunn - Educational assessment: sociocultural and narrative approaches.
- Meredith Kelly - Early childhood assessment/schema learning theory.
- Prof Jeff Smith – Educational assessment.
- Prof Lisa Smith – Affective factors that influence test performance, both on standardized tests and in the classroom.
Cultural studies – Biculturalism / Multiculturism / Culture and education
- Dr David Bell - New Zealand/Asian studies.
- Trish Brooking - Cultural diversity.
- Dr Ruth Gasson – Culture, equity, rights, and justice.
- Dr Alex Gunn - Cultural studies.
- Dr Steven Sexton – Indigenist research.
Curriculum development, policy, history
- Assoc Prof David Bell - Construction of curriculum.
- Dr Margie Campbell-Price – Curriculum development and professional practice in initial teacher education; Curriculum enhancement through Education Outside the Classroom.
- Raylene Galvin - Curriculum
- Meredith Kelly - Early childhood curriculum: engaging in an integrated curriculum with pedagogical learning areas.
- Judy Layland: Children’s participation rights and learning in home-based education and care.
- Prof Helen May - Early childhood issues – curriculum.
- Jenny Vermunt - Personalised learning and secondary school curriculum design.
Disabilities studies in education
- Dr Gill Rutherford - Disability studies; Disabled students’ experiences of school.
Gender studies in education
- Dr Alex Gunn - Inclusive education and social justice (particularly queer concerns and heteronormativity)
- Assoc Prof Karen Nairn - Gender, sexuality, “race” and youth cultures; Feminist issues in education.
- Assoc Prof Susan Sandretto - Gender equity.
- Dr Steven Sexton – Heteronormativity: social constructions of masculinities/femininities in school.
Health / Physical Education / Education outside the classroom
- Dr Margie Campbell-Price – Education Outside the Classroom (EOTC); Outdoor education; Physical education; School-led tourism; Teenagers and adventure.
- Gaye McDowell – Health and physical education.
- Angela Miller – Community nutrition.
Historical contexts of education
- Prof Helen May - Early childhood issues – history.
- Dr Hugh Morrison - New Zealand missionaries and global interaction; New Zealand and Australasian religious history; New Zealand’s historical interface with the wider world; Children and young people as historical subjects and agents.
Inclusive education and social justice issues
- Dr Ruth Gasson – Children's rights; Culture, equity, rights, and justice; Social and educational policy; Social philosophy and theory.
- Dr Alex Gunn - Inclusive education: difference, diversity, and social justice in early childhood education.
- Assoc Prof Jacques van der Meer - Equitable access and participation in higher education.
- Dr Gill Rutherford - Inclusive education; Teacher aides’ role in education; Inclusive teacher education.
- Assoc Prof Susan Sandretto - Social justice.
ICT education / The Internet for teaching and learning / Distance Education
- Prof Kwok-Wing Lai - Social and ethical issues in computer-mediated communication; Computer-supported learning; Design of online learning environments; Knowledge Building.
- Dr Keryn Pratt - ICT in education; Distance learning/virtual schools.
- Dr Sandra Williamson-Leadley - Primary teachers' classroom practices utilising ICTs to enhance teaching and learning.
- Assoc Prof Ross Notman – Principal appraisal processes; Principal education; Recruitment and selection of school leaders; Values-based leadership.
Literacy / Numeracy / Multiliteracies
- Trish Brooking – Children’s literature; Critical literacy.
- Raylene Galvin - Literacy
- Dr Naomi Ingram - Students' mathematical identities; Students' affective journeys through mathematics.
- Judy Layland - Literacy learning in ECE settings.
- Dr Chris Linsell - Early algebraic thinking; Students’ understanding of equivalence; Role of activities and contexts in the learning of mathematics.
- Jill Paris - Literacy; Children’s acquisition of strategies; Effective teaching.
- Adiair Polson-Genge - Literacy.
- Assoc Prof Susan Sandretto - Critical literacy.
- Dr Jane Tilson – Critical literacy; Critical multiliteracies.
Pedagogy and initial teacher education
- Dr David Bell - Pedagogy; Efficacy beliefs.
- Dr David Berg - Initial teacher education.
- Dr Margie Campbell-Price - Pedagogy in secondary school Physical Education and Outdoor Education (EOTC).
- Raylene Galvin - Teacher education; Professional practice.
- Dr Alex Gunn - Curriculum and pedagogy in early childhood education.
- Meredith Kelly - Early childhood pedagogy and socio-cultural practice.
- Assoc Prof Karen Nairn – Secondary and tertiary education practices.
- Jill Paris - Effective teaching; Teacher education.
- Adair Polson-Genge - Initial teacher education.
- Assoc Prof Susan Sandretto – Teacher education.
- Dr Steven Sexton - Teacher cognition: perceptions of teachers and teaching.
- Dr Brenda Shanks - Middle level (Years 7-10) education; Initial teacher education; Primary science education.
- Prof Lisa Smith – Preservice teacher education and teaching efficacy.
- Dr Jane Tilson – Teacher education; Reflective practice.
- Dr Helen Trevethan – Beginning teaching; Professional practice; Science education.
- Assoc Prof Jacques van der Meer - Pedagogical/andragogical approaches to enhancing student engagement.
- Jenny Vermunt - Values and ethics in initial teacher education.
Policy analysis and ideological contexts of education
- Prof Helen May - Early childhood issues – policy.
Assoc Prof Jacques van der Meer - Student retention.
Teacher professional development
- Prof Kwok-Wing Lai - Information technology and professional development.
- Dr Helen Trevethan - Mentoring
- Dr Sandra Williamson-Leadley - Professional Development models; Information technology and professional development.
- Angela Miller - Teaching and learning in technology education.
- Dr Sandra Williamson-Leadley - Teaching and learning in technology education.
Theory and practice of teaching and learning
- Dr David Berg - International education; Teaching and learning.
- Dr Margie Campbell-Price - Contemporary issues in secondary school education.
- Dr Naomi Ingram - Cooperative learning in mathematics.
- Assoc Prof Karen Nairn – Critical social & poststructural theory.
- Assoc Prof Jacques van der Meer – Peer-learning.
- Dr Steven Sexton - Science education (primary): learning through science education in primary schools.