Health Sciences First Year (HSFY) students can enrol in an optional eighth paper in second semester, selected from the following approved list.
The aim of the eighth paper option is to foster critical thinking and analysis, by giving students the opportunity to explore areas outside of the seven HSFY papers.
In this instance, the results in the best seven papers will be counted for the purposes of admission to the professional programmes, provided that the compulsory seven papers are passed at or above the required minimum standards.
After you have received your first semester results you are able to add your 8th optional paper on the Programmes and Papers page in eVision.
More information on how to add an 8th optional paper (including deadlines).
Approved optional eighth papers for 2022
- ANTH 106 Human Origins and Civilisations*
- BIOA 101 Introduction to Biological Anthropology
- BIOL 112 Animal Biology
- BIOL 123 Plants: How They Shape the World
- BSNS 111 Business and Society
- CHEM 111 Chemistry: Molecular Architecture
- CHTH 131 God and Ethics in the Modern World*
- CLAS 105 Greek Mythology*
- COMO 101 Modelling and Computation
- EDUC 101 Education and Society*
- ENGL 131 Controversial Classics*
- GEND 102 Bodies, Sexualities and Selves*
- GEOG 102 Human Geography*
- GEOL 112 Dynamic Earth
- HIST 102 The Global Twentieth Century*
- HUNT 141 Understanding Human Nutrition
- MANT 101 Managing for Performance
- MAOR 102 Māori Society*
- MAOR 110 Introduction to Conversational Māori*
- MARI 112 Global Marine Systems
- MART 112 Marketing Management
- MATH 120 Mathematics for Scientists
- MATH 130 Fundamentals of Modern Mathematics 1
- PACI 101 Pacific Societies*
- PHSI 132 Fundamentals of Physics II
- POLS 102 New Zealand Politics – Introduction*
- PSYC 112 Human Thought and Behaviour*
- SCOM 109 Communicating Science
- SOCI 102 Cultural and Social Identities*
- SOCI 103 Crime, Deviance and Social Transformation*
- SPEX 102 Principles of Exercise for Health and Performance
- STAT 115 Introduction to Biostatistics*
- TOUR 101 Introduction to Tourism
- TOUR 102 Global Tourism
(i) * These papers are eligible to be used in the MB ChB / BA taken between the third and fourth year of the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MB ChB) medical degree. Anyone interested in the MB ChB / BA should get early course advice regarding the requirements of the BA subject major.
(ii) Pre-screening for language competency will be required ahead of enrolment in any introductory language paper. Please contact the relevant department well before Semester 2 commences to allow time to accommodate the screening.