Information for exchange students nominated by one of the University of Otago Exchange partners.
If your home university is not on this list, please see the International Office page.
COVID-19 - Sadly the University of Otago has cancelled in-person exchange in Otago's semester two 2021 (Jul-Nov). Please refer to the information for new international students currently offshore.
The University and surroundings
Otago students rate its campus lifestyle as one of its strongest attractions. The students live as a community immediately around the campus area in student Colleges of Residence or self-catering flats. Within an hour's drive of the campus, students can explore some of the region's most spectacular scenic and outdoor attractions. The extreme seasons of the greater Otago province lend themselves towards snow sports in winter, water-sports in summer, and a variety of sightseeing tours and wildlife reserves.
- University of Otago campus tour
- Study abroad at the University of Otago
- University of Otago - Dunedin - Flyover
- The University of Otago in brief
- International Office
- Study Abroad and Exchange Guide (PDF)
- Student exchange fact sheet (PDF)
- Exchange students are nominated by one of the University of Otago Exchange partners
- Exchange students will study at the Dunedin campus.
- Level of Exchange: Undergraduate / Graduate course work only.
- Normally students are required to have a minimum “B” average grade (70%).
- Students must meet the English requirements for international students.
- Restricted programmes: Medicine, Dentistry, Psychiatry, Physiotherapy, Pharmacology, Pharmacy or any other clinical course are not open to exchange students. Some Otago courses such as MBA, Wildlife Management and Master of Science Communication are restricted in admissions.
- Exchange duration: minimum Summer School; maximum two semesters + Summer School.
Please note that accommodation at Uniflats is not guaranteed in 2021.
The University of Otago is renowned for its residential campus environment and you are encouraged to apply for Uniflats. All the University Flats are located within an easy walk of the University campus and main shopping centre. Students share the cleaning and cooking duties and usually shop together for the food. Rent fees include electricity, internet, bed linen, kitchen equipment, UniFlats community events and the services of the University Flats. Flatting expenses are shared with the other students in the flat and are not included in the rent.
Cost of living
- Cost of living
- Exchange students may be required to pay Student Services Fee at Otago, depending on the Agreement between our Institutions.
Arrival and orientation, including key academic dates
- Travelling to New Zealand
- Key academic dates and when to arrive
- Enrolment and orientation
- Support once at Otago
- The Otago International Friendship Network matches new international students with enthusiastic, friendly Otago students to help you settle in and adjust to life at Otago.
Disability Information and Support
Disability Information and Support provides learning support, advice, advocacy and information to students with permanent, recurring or temporary impairments.