Red X iconGreen tick iconYellow tick icon

Conference/Fieldwork funding

Division of Humanities

PhD students can request overseas conference funding for one conference from the Division of Humanities.

The current maximum amount that can be applied for is NZD$2,000. We generally recommend that a research trip is carried out in conjunction with conference attendance, if possible.

The full policy and application form is available from the Humanities website:
Division of Humanities

Politics Programme

PhD students may apply to the Politics Programme for funding to present at an overseas conference or to undertake fieldwork which is essential to their research. The maximum amount that can be applied for per student is NZD$2,000. This money may be used in conjunction with the Divisional funding.

Students may split this money into two applications if they chose, such as money for fieldwork one year and a conference the next. The maximum remains at NZ$2,000.

New Zealand Political Studies Association (NZPSA) conference

MA (Thesis) and PhD students may apply for funding ($400) to present papers at the annual NZPSA conference. PhD students may apply twice during their time and MA (Thesis) students once.

Information regarding this conference:
NZPSA website

Foreign Policy School

Postgraduate students may also apply for a $50 reimbursement if they are attending the Foreign Policy School held in Dunedin.


For further information, please contact:

The Programme Administrator


The University of Otago library has an extensive range of books and article databases.

Through the interloan service you can also request free copies of articles and book chapters not available through the Otago library, and request free loans for books held in other NZ and Australian libraries.
Library interloan service

Politics library contact

Kate Knox
Subject Librarian (Humanities)

Kate's office is at the Central Library, meetings are by appointment only.

Kate is available to provide tours of the library and assist with access to library resources and training.

Study space

Desk space is provided for all our postgrad students – for Masters students that is within the Masters annex on the ground floor of the Arts Building, and for PhD students, on the 4th floor of the Arts Building. All rooms have internet access and a computer will be provided for PhD students only, if needed.

For all space enquiries, contact:

The Programme Administrator

Higher Education Development Centre

Peer Writing and Support

Peer Writing and Support programmes for postgraduate students.

Research and Thesis Writing Development

Research and Thesis Writing Development is a section of the HEDC website that also provides links for support for postgraduate students.


HEDC runs a series of workshops and has a range of online resources for postgraduate students.

Student Learning Development Support

  • Help with study-related issues
  • Help with time management and workload issues
  • Help with effective note-taking and note-making, exam revision, etc.
  • Can help you to clarify the focus and scope of an assignment topic and can assist with developing a plan to structure your ideas
  • Can support you to improve your writing -- sentence structure, paragraph formation, etc.
  • Can assist you to prepare a well-structured oral presentation or seminar. They can also run through it with you and provide constructive feedback
  • Can help you to identify online or other resources
  • Can assist with support for numeracy or statistics issues
  • Can direct you to other student support services as needed
  • Assist postgraduate students to develop their research and thesis-writing skills

Steps for making an appointment

Wellbeing support

Healthy Campus

The Healthy Campus website has a range of tools and resources to help students and staff enhance their health and wellbeing.

Student Health

Information about emotional and mental wellbeing

Wellbeing Coach

Nikki Fahey
Graduate Wellbeing Coach
Tel +64 3 479 4327

Nikki's role is to support graduate students to maintain their well-being while achieving their goal of successfully completing their postgraduate studies.

Students who are experiencing a decline in their wellbeing are encouraged to make an appointment with someone from Student Health. If uncertain about seeing a counsellor, please make an appointment with a GP first.

Back to top