The Postgraduate Diploma in Science (PGDipSci) is a one-year programme which builds on an undergraduate science degree. The diploma encompasses both papers and a research topic, and can be taken full-time or part-time. It provides entry to the Master of Science (MSc) degree by thesis only.
A PGDipSci can be can be studied in any of the subjects listed below.
Students wanting to undertake a one-year diploma should have a sound background at Bachelor of Science level in whichever subject they choose to specialise.
Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Science (PGDipSci)
Admission to the Programme
- Admission to the programme shall be subject to the approval of the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Sciences).
- Every applicant shall have fulfilled one of the following conditions
- have been admitted to the degree of Bachelor of Science majoring in the subject or subjects of study proposed
- have been admitted with the status of one who is entitled to proceed to the diploma
- have a qualification acceptable to the Pro-Vice-Chancellor and produce evidence satisfactory to the Pro-Vice-Chancellor of ability to proceed to the diploma.
Subjects of Study
The diploma may be awarded in any one of the subjects listed above, or in an approved combination of the subjects listed above. With the approval of the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Sciences), the diploma may be awarded in a subject not listed in the schedule to a student who has withdrawn from a programme for a master's degree.
Structure of the Programme
- Every programme of study shall satisfy the requirements for the subject concerned as set out above.
- With the permission of the Heads of the Departments concerned, a candidate may substitute a paper of another subject for one of the required papers.
- Any required research report must be submitted no later than 1 November.
Prerequisites, Corequisites and Restrictions
Every programme of study shall satisfy the requirements for prerequisites, corequisites, and restrictions set out in the Prescriptions (published in the Guide to Enrolment).
Duration of the Programme
The programme may be taken by full-time candidates in one year, or by part-time candidates over more than one year. Any paper in which a candidate is enrolled in any year shall be examined in that year.
Level of Award of the Diploma
The diploma may be awarded with distinction or with credit.
Diploma in a Second Subject
A student who has obtained the diploma in one subject may become a candidate for the diploma in any other subject.
The Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Sciences) may in exceptional circumstances approve a course of study which does not comply with these regulations.Note: The due date for applications for first enrolment in the programme is 10 December. Late applications will be considered.