Why study Geology at Otago?
Whether you are here for a semester, a year, or your whole degree, the University of Otago is a great place to study Geology.
Otago is geologically active and diverse – everything from an active plate boundary to glacial lakes and submarine canyons are on our doorstep.
The Geology Department is research-intensive and broad – learn directly from faculty doing cutting-edge work on earthquakes, gold, glaciers, volcanoes, climate history, biological evolution, Antarctica, and more.
Members of the Department are a highly international group, with faculty from New Zealand, the US, England, Canada, and Switzerland, and postgraduate students from all over the world. In addition to our work in New Zealand, our research extends globally in labs and field sites across all continents and the ocean floor.
The University of Otago is located in Dunedin, a university city that offers a vibrant off-campus lifestyle.
Otago is your gateway to the scenic beauty of the South Island of New Zealand.
- Information for New Zealand undergraduate students
- Information for international undergraduate students
- Information for postgraduate students
Schedule and list of Geology papers
- Qualifications we offer and their requirements
- Application information for prospective students
- Postgraduate research opportunities
- Field trips / field schools
- Health and Safety
- Scholarships and prizes
- Video: the Otago Geology Degree
- Video: Earth and Ocean Science
- Video: Field Studies and New Zealand Geology