The Health Sciences Division offers a range of Summer Research Scholarships in Dunedin each year.
- Applications close – 21 August 2020, 5.00pm
- Notification of outcome – October 2020
To be eligible for a tax-free summer scholarship a student must be intending to enrol at a New Zealand or Australian University in the following year. This is to ensure that the University meets its tax and legal requirements. If the student does not return to study in 2021, the University has the right to recover that tax from the student.
The Summer Research Scholarship Programme encourages participation from students and staff of the School of Biomedical Sciences (BMS), Otago Medical School – Dunedin Campus (OMS - Dunedin Campus) and the Schools of Dentistry, Pharmacy and Physiotherapy.
The main objective of the programme is to give undergraduate science and health professional students their first introduction to research. Many eventually go on to take up a career in research. Some of our most successful researchers gained their first taste of research as summer students. Those that do not make research a part of their future, will find nonetheless that exposure to a research environment enriches their degree, and hones their critical thinking ability – a skill that is of prime importance in today's workplace.
Forms, dates and guidelines for students and supervisors
Applying for Health Sciences Dunedin-based scholarships
If you wish to apply for a Summer Research Scholarship based in Dunedin, you have the following options:
- Otago Medical Research Foundation (OMRF) Scholarships – for all Health Sciences and Science students for projects related to human health
- School of Biomedical Sciences ( BMS) Scholarships and Otago Medical School – Dunedin Campus (OMS – Dunedin Campus) Scholarships (including BMS Māori and Pacific Peoples' scholarships) - for projects supervised by BMS or (OMS – Dunedin Campus)staff
- Health Research Council (HRC) Ethics Scholarships
- Other Summer Research Scholarships available in Dunedin
Important note: You can apply for multiple scholarships, but you will be offered only one.