Tuesday, 21 June 2022
The Department of Biochemistry at Otago teaches biochemistry, genetics, plant biotechnology, and related subjects to undergraduate and postgraduate students, and carries out research into how life works at the molecular level. Our staff and students investigate the underpinning mechanisms of life in humans and other animals, plants, and microbes. Our goals are to enhance the well-being and quality of life of New Zealanders, improve the diagnosis and treatment of disease, and develop technology in agriculture and other industries.
We teach biochemistry, genetics, and molecular biology to undergraduate and postgraduate science students, and contribute to professional health science courses such as Medicine and Dentistry.
The Department has a long tradition of excellent research and innovation. Research interests are wide-ranging, in three broad categories:
In 2019 the Biochemistry Department had its 70th anniversary of contributing high-quality teaching and research to the University of Otago. The Department is part of the School of Biomedical Sciences, within the Otago Division of Health Sciences.
Research stories from Otago Biochemistry and other resources for students and teachers, including career advice, 3D molecule models, and how to visit the department.
Wednesday, 1 June 2022
Monday, 23 May 2022
Tuesday 12 July 2022
Self-fertile ryegrass: a step-change for the NZ ryegrass industry
- Seven students’ research adventures
- Into introns?
- How to make life from scratch: Understanding molecules that organise themselves
- Biochemistry – with colour! Or the day I narrowly avoided seaweed stain down my front (and found out about a really cool protein)
- Yes, viruses attack bacteria – and bacteria fight back, but not the way we thought
- School of Biomedical Sciences
- Genomics Aotearoa
- Centre for Protein Research
- Centre for Translational Cancer Research
- Genetics Otago
- Plant Biotechnology (PLBI)
- Otago Genomics
- Webster Centre for Infectious Diseases
- Department Intranet (use your university username and password to log in)
- Follow us on