Department of Pathology and Biomedical Science
The Department undertakes internationally-renowned research in pathology and biomedical science. This underpins our award winning teaching of postgraduate research students and undergraduate medical students at the University of Otago, Christchurch campus.
PhD, master's and honours opportunities
We welcome enquiries from enthusiastic and highly-motivated students with medical or biomedical science backgrounds. Our PhD, master's and honours programmes provide hands on research experience that will prepare you for a career in research, diagnostics or biotechnology.
- PhD information
- BBiomedSc(Hons) information
- Master of Biomedical Sciences (MBiomedSc) information
- Postgraduate research opportunities in the Department of Pathology and Biomedical Science.
Research in pathology and biomedical science
We have seven independent research groups within the department, each with a different biomedical focus:
- Mātai Hāora - Centre for Redox Biology and Medicine
- Gene Structure and Function Laboratory
- Haematology Research Group
- The Infection Group
- Inflammation Research Group
- Mackenzie Cancer Research Group
- Nutrition in Medicine Research Group
Members of these research groups are also involved with the following research centres and networks as directors or principal investigators:
- Biostatistics and Computational Biology Unit
- Canterbury Comprehensive Cancer Centre (C4)
- Carney Centre for Pharmacogenomics
- One Health Aotearoa