Accessibility Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu


You have studied at Undergraduate level and now wish to continue to learn and research in our department. We offer a number of postgraduate opportunities in both Food Science and Consumer Food Science.

If you are unsure what courses you may be eligible to study then please take our quick course check below:


Diploma for graduates

Who is it for?

Those who have achieved an undergraduate degree in a different field wishing to pursue a career in Food Science or Consumer Food Science. Any graduate may undertake a DipGrad, irrespective of their previous major subject (specifically, you don’t have to have a BSc already).

Honours programmes

Who is it for?

Students who have completed a BSc in Food Science or BAppSc in Consumer Food Science and who wish to further their knowledge through advanced topics and gain research skills through a supervised research project. 

Postgraduate diplomas

Who is it for?

Students who have completed an undergraduate degree in Food Science or an allied discipline (e.g. Food Engineering, Food Technology), or in Consumer Food Science,  may add an additional year of advanced study to receive a Postgraduate Diploma.  The PGDip also provides a pathway for entrance to a Research Masters degree.

Research Masters - MSc

Who is it for?

While the Master of Science programme is customarily a two year course, with papers making up the first year and research the second, in the Department of Food Science our students can also take a one year postgraduate course (such as a Postgraduate Diploma or Honours year) and  then follow it with a single research year to complete a Master of Science  by thesis only. The research masters is available in both Food Science and Consumer Food Science.

Coursework Masters - MAppSc

Who is it for?

Our coursework masters can be tailored to either extend the skills and knowledge of those already working in the food industry or to provide the essential background and skills to enable graduates from a wide range of backgrounds to make an impact in the food sector.


Who is it for?

Students with substantial research experience may consider studying for a PhD. Students with less substantial research experience are usually advised to complete a research master’s degree before considering doctoral-level study.  Admission to our PhD programme is reliant on you having found an appropriate supervisor(s) within the department of Food Science and agreed a topic of research.  For more information on finding a supervisor please see our PhD page.


Resources and Support